Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Port forwarding with bridged modem

orbi1973
Aspirant

Port forwarding with bridged modem

Hi, i am writing this here after being on hold with Netgear support for more than an hour. I hope someone can help.

I purchased an Orbi RBR50 AC3000 router a few weeks back.  The router is connected to my Bell DSL modem, which is set on bridgemode. On my Orbi, under advanced setup, port fowarding, i've gone and added port 9999 in both external and internal ports.  The protocall is TCP (i've also tried TCP/UDP).  Port is  192.168.3.250.  (I had set my Orbi gateway to 192.168.3.1).  

When i go to https://www.canyouseeme.org/ and check for my port 9999, it's telling me it's not open.  

Does anyone know what i am doing wrong?  Any help here would be very much appreciated.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
orbi1973
Aspirant

Re: Port forwarding with bridged modem

thank you both for your response. I was able to get port fowarding working.  I had another router that was connected to my Obri that was then connected to the CCTV box. I put that router on AP mode. It was in regular router mode before and I believe that was probably what was causing the ping to fail. Thanks again.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@orbi1973 wrote:

I purchased an Orbi RBR50 AC3000 router a few weeks back.  The router is connected to my Bell DSL modem, which is set on bridgemode. On my Orbi, under advanced setup, port fowarding, i've gone and added port 9999 in both external and internal ports.  The protocall is TCP (i've also tried TCP/UDP).  Port is  192.168.3.250.  (I had set my Orbi gateway to 192.168.3.1).  

When i go to https://www.canyouseeme.org/ and check for my port 9999, it's telling me it's not open.  

The first check is whether the Bell modem is actually in bridge mode.  Open the Orbi web interface and record the IP address shown on the Advanced Tab home page in the upper right box under "Internet Port".  Does this match the IP address that canyouseeme reports?

Or, is it a "private" IP address: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network 

Next: I seem to remember that "250" may be a "special" IP address. Can you try anything lower?

Last, the device that the port is forwarded to must be "open" and listening on that port for canyouseeme to report success.  The Windows firewall, for example, rejects ALL incomming connections unless the user specifically allows connections.

Message 2 of 6
Mstrbig
Master

@orbi1973 wrote:

Hi, i am writing this here after being on hold with Netgear support for more than an hour. I hope someone can help.

Does anyone know what i am doing wrong?  Any help here would be very much appreciated.

Port 9999 is sometimes used as a virus transmission port and may be blocked by your ISP. If you are sure that none of you applications need that port open, remove it. It is labelled as a Virus/malware use TCP port. Just FYI.

Message 3 of 6
orbi1973
Aspirant

thank you both for your response. I was able to get port fowarding working.  I had another router that was connected to my Obri that was then connected to the CCTV box. I put that router on AP mode. It was in regular router mode before and I believe that was probably what was causing the ping to fail. Thanks again.

Message 4 of 6
Mstrbig
Master

Glad you got it figured out.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

Thankl you, Smiley Wink

@orbi1973 wrote:

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7