Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Possible set up RBK23 with Ethernet backhaul

SetMeUP
Aspirant

Possible set up RBK23 with Ethernet backhaul

Hello Everyone,

So I'm looking to buy this Package from Amazon. The RBK23. 

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Orbi-Ultra-Performance-Whole-System/dp/B07CQDHPFT/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&...

I have a question about a possible set up involving Ethernet backhaul, I've seen the available documentation at this webpage but it doesn't help with my case. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

It is my understanding that I have to hook up the RBS20 Orbi router to my modem using an ethernet cable. Then connect to the RBS20 Orbi Satellites using Ethernet cables that come from the Orbi router. This is a bit difficult to do with my set up currently.

I wanted to know if I could connect the Orbi Router to the modem with Ethernet Cable. Then also connect an Orbi Satellite to the modem with an ethernet cable. And then have the other satellite just connected wirelessly. 

I've attached a picture to help with the understanding of my set up. Please let me know if you have any questions. And thank you very much for taking the time to read my post and help set me up.

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 14
ekhalil
Master

- The setup you suggested will only work if Orbi is set in AP Mode and the ISP Modem is a router (not just a mide), providing DHCP functionality to all Orbi nodes and clients.

- If the ISP modem is a modem then -usually- it will only provide you with one public IP address so you will not be able to connect two nodes to it, unless it's a router, but then you can't have Orbi as router.

Can you have the solution as follows istead and keep Orbi in Router Mode?

Possible Set up (1).jpg

You can also connect the Satellite directly to the Router if you don't want to use the switch!

Message 2 of 14
SetMeUP
Aspirant

The ISP modem is also a router. Right now I currently have a router connected to my ISP modem, with the modem's wifi turned off. So it basically is just providing ethernet to the router we currently use and a handful of other appliances. I'm not sure what you mean by mide. 

So is it possible that since my ISP modem is a modem/router, that I can go with the set up that I described?  Using the Orbi router and one satellite as access points and have the Orbi satellite connected wirelessly to one of the Orbi access points?

I only have one ethernet going from the modem to the where the Orbi router would be. So there's no way for me to get the modem to connect to the Orbi router and then run another ethernet to the satellite. This means I can't run the set up you show in your picture unless I run another wire. Which I would rather not do, but I can do. Also, I don't need a switch, right? I can just get an Ethernet Extender like one in the link shown below correct?

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Coupler-Ethernet-Extender-Connector/dp/B016B13U9Y/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=U...

Which configuration would you recommend?

Thank you again for taking the time to answer my question. I appreciate it very much.

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 3 of 14
randomousity
Luminary

Can you do something like this (either choose option 1 in both places, or option 2 in both places)? Bridge mode and AP mode are basically the same thing, and, generally, you only want one device acting as a router on your network. That should be true of your current setup, as well as if/when you switch to an Orbi setup instead. Also, the only ethernet link you need is between your modem and the Orbi router. Depending on distance and obstacles between the Orbi router and satellites, you can just use the built-in wireless backhaul.net diagram.PNG

Message 4 of 14
brettich
Guide

I have the RBK23 set configured for wired ethernet backhaul.

Looks like this:

ISP Modem <> Dedicated Router (R7000 running AdvancedTomato) <> 1G unmanaged switch <> RBK23 (in AP mode)
- each of the RBS20 satellites are also connected to the 1G switch. I have 1 AP on each floor of the house.
- currently running FW V2.2.1.210

I'll be honest, I'm a technical person working in IT and the setup was NOT easy. Lots of reboots, firmware updates, factory resets... at one point I bricked one of the AP's and needed to recover it via SFTP -manually installing the firmware...
Need to methodically (slowly) get one node running at a time, using DHCP reservations for the satellites and a fixed IP for the "main AP". The whole system takes several (5 or more) minutes to adapt to each and any config changes you make. A full system reboot can take over 10 min... So be patient!

However now that is is all running it seems to be stable for the past couple of weeks.

One observation -I wish the wireless backhaul radios would shut off when they detect a wired backhaul. Running a wifi / spectrum analyzer you can see hidden the 2.4 & 5G backhaul radios blasting unused. I have no idea if this creates unnecessary "noise" and interference.

I now have great (fast) coverage into each corner of my house. The system as a whole does NOT seem to manage the band steering and roaming as well as I would like, but it is a decent compromise.

Message 5 of 14
SetMeUP
Aspirant

Thanks for the advice. I'm not super tech savvy but I have enough persistence to eventually get my equipment working. But still if I can run an extra wire over figuring out how to update the firmware, I guess the easier option here would be to just go with recommended set up of having my modem connected directly to my Orbi router and then my satellite that's farthest from the router to connect to the Orbi router with an Ethernet.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR ADVICE!

Message 6 of 14
SetMeUP
Aspirant

Yea I'll likely be going with this setup.  Seems that it will be the easiest to set up the hardest part will be to run another cable.

Thank you for your advice.

Message 7 of 14
ekhalil
Master

@SetMeUP wrote:

....... I'm not sure what you mean by mide. 

I meant a modem, not sure how it became "mide" 🙂 sorry for this!

@SetMeUP wrote:

So is it possible that since my ISP modem is a modem/router, that I can go with the set up that I described?  Using the Orbi router and one satellite as access points and have the Orbi satellite connected wirelessly to one of the Orbi access points?

Yes, if the ISP modem is your main router then you can have Orbi in AP mode and connect the router and satellite to the ISP router.

@SetMeUP wrote:

........... Also, I don't need a switch, right? I can just get an Ethernet Extender like one in the link shown below correct?

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Coupler-Ethernet-Extender-Connector/dp/B016B13U9Y/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=U...

Yes, I think this will do if you just want to connect the router to the satellite.

@SetMeUP wrote:

Which configuration would you recommend?

Both options should be ok. If you already have the modem as router then you just need to set Orbi in AP mode. If you choose Orbi in Router mode then you still need to make sure that the ISP router is bridged.

Message 8 of 14
ekhalil
Master

@brettich wrote:

One observation -I wish the wireless backhaul radios would shut off when they detect a wired backhaul. Running a wifi / spectrum analyzer you can see hidden the 2.4 & 5G backhaul radios blasting unused. I have no idea if this creates unnecessary "noise" and interference.

The wireless backhaul hidden networks will not shut off when using wired backhaul. I guess they are meant to be standby to take over in case anything happens in the wired cable. You can manually shut them off using telnet commands if you wish.

Message 9 of 14
brettich
Guide

The wireless backhaul hidden networks will not shut off when using wired backhaul. I guess they are meant to be standby to take over in case anything happens in the wired cable. You can manually shut them off using telnet commands if you wish.

Thanks I will try that today. 

Message 10 of 14
brettich
Guide

One more comment - Make sure to set everything up as you want - where you want it - using the normal default wireless backhaul settings first. Test everything and make sure the system is running stable with the latest firmware for a while. 

Create two DHCP reservations for the Satellites 

Then one at a time switch the satelittes over to wired. -This seems to work better for most. 

You should see the sattelites switch from Wirelss to "Wired" under the attached devices page of the main AP.

My 2c

Message 11 of 14
brettich
Guide

I cannot find the interfaces / instructions on how to disable the wireless backhaul radios. I've spend the better part of the morning looking for them. Any ideas? I remember reading about it last week but can not find the post! 

Message 12 of 14
ekhalil
Master

@brettich wrote:

I cannot find the interfaces / instructions on how to disable the wireless backhaul radios. I've spend the better part of the morning looking for them. Any ideas? I remember reading about it last week but can not find the post! 

To disable the backhaul, please follow the following steps:

1. From browser go to the router's debug page (http://192.168.1.1/debug.htm). Use your router's IP address or http://orbilogin.com/debug.htm
  2. Enter admin as user name and your router’s management password
  3. Tick "Enable Telnet" option
  4. Use Telnet to connect to your Router telnet 192.168.1.1 and enter admin and the same password as above
  5. Enter the commands: 
    1. config set endis_wla_2nd_radio=0
    2. config get wl5g_BACKHAUL_AP  --> printout should be usually ath2
    3. ifconfig ath2 down --> ath2 is the output from the previous get command

The above is to disable the backhaul in the router. Please make sure that Daisy Chain is diabled so you will not have backhaul networks out of the satellites.

Good luck

Message 13 of 14
brettich
Guide

FYI - if anyone is interested, I did end up disabling the wireless backhaul radios in the router (not sure they exist in the same way in the satellites).

However, after several weeks I did NOT notice any change / improvement (good or bad) to my WIFI environment so I just turned them back on and rebooted everything. Still have wired backhaul, but the wireless backhaul radios are running again in standby mode?...
I'd rather not mess with the underlying architecture unless absolutely necessary - I am sure Netgear has MUCH smarter engineers that me, I'll defer to their logic and reasoning 😉

BR

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7