Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Post Firmware Update Signal Strength Levels

briansh
Tutor

Post Firmware Update Signal Strength Levels

I did a firmware update yesterday. Before the update, signal strength to my guest network, that my son was using to play games was strong.  post network, signal strength to the guest network seems to be very weak - < 1Mbps.  Also, my network map/diagram before the update was a triangle with the router at the top and the 2 satellites at the base.  Post update, the map is a straight line to the internet - no triangle.  Also when I look at devices connected to the satellite via the Orbi app, it appears like everything is connected to the Router - which would certainly explain the signal strength.  We did a reset of the router, do I need to reboot and bring on the satellites down during the reboot?  The timing may also have been off doing a reset.  

Any assistance appreciated.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 27
briansh
Tutor

Re: Post Firmware Update Signal Strength Levels

Just for background, the Router and Satellite 1 were added at the same time.  Satellite 2 was added later.  Both Satellites seem to be connected to the router as the lights in the Orbi app are green from Satellite 2 -> Satellite 1 -> Router -> Internet.

Message 2 of 27
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

What versions of firmware are now on the router and satellites?  V2.5.1.8 is the current latest for RBR50 and RBS50.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 3 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

@briansh wrote:

I did a firmware update yesterday. Before the update, signal strength to my guest network, that my son was using to play games was strong.  post network, signal strength to the guest network seems to be very weak - < 1Mbps.  Also, my network map/diagram before the update was a triangle with the router at the top and the 2 satellites at the base.  Post update, the map is a straight line to the internet - no triangle.  Also when I look at devices connected to the satellite via the Orbi app, it appears like everything is connected to the Router - which would certainly explain the signal strength.  We did a reset of the router, do I need to reboot and bring on the satellites down during the reboot?  The timing may also have been off doing a reset.  

Any assistance appreciated.

Message 4 of 27
briansh
Tutor

Looks to be all the same version...

----------------------------------------------

Router firmware version: 2.5.1.8

Satellite (1) firmware version: 2.5.1.8

Satellite (2) firmware version: 2.5.1.8

Message 5 of 27
briansh
Tutor

Size of home is about 2500sqft.  The Router is downstairs and the 2 satellites are upstairs. When I installed the satellite 1, it connected after I adjusted the location, and satellite 2, which I installed a few years later, connected as well.  Both are more than 30 ft though.

Happy to enable what you mentioned, where would I enable - via the app , or on the Netgear site via the router login?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 6 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

RBRs web page using a web browser on a PC or laptop. 

Message 7 of 27
briansh
Tutor

There looks to be some difference in the results the app shows and the website - will use the website as the most accurate source.

@briansh wrote:

Size of home is about 2500sqft.  The Router is downstairs and the 2 satellites are upstairs. When I installed the satellite 1, it connected after I adjusted the location, and satellite 2, which I installed a few years later, connected as well.  Both are more than 30 ft though.

Happy to enable what you mentioned, where would I enable - via the app , or on the Netgear site via the router login?

Message 8 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya seem that users are seeing odd issues with the Orbi app. 

Message 9 of 27
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Why did you upgrade?.

Message 10 of 27
briansh
Tutor

Thats a good question!  Nothing was wrong, however the update was available so I decicded to take it.  I can't roll back right?

Thanks VAJim

@Retired_Member wrote:

Why did you upgrade?.

Message 11 of 27
briansh
Tutor

Can I reset to factory default settings - thus rolling back the update, or am I stuck with firmware 2.5.1.8?

Message 12 of 27
briansh
Tutor

One other question besides going back to factory defaults, is the Network Map.  Seems to be relevant because it changed in the app after the update.

I have a router & 2 satellites.  Before they were in a triangle shape with the router on top.  Now they are in a straight line from satellite 2 - satellite 1 - router - internet

Also in the app I don't see any devices attached, but I can se them attached on the website so they may be something weird with the app or something important.  

@briansh wrote:

Can I reset to factory default settings - thus rolling back the update, or am I stuck with firmware 2.5.1.8?

Message 13 of 27
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@briansh wrote:

Thats a good question!  Nothing was wrong, however the update was available so I decicded to take it.  I can't roll back right?

Thanks VAJim

@Retired_Member wrote:

Why did you upgrade?.

yes

Message 14 of 27
briansh
Tutor

Is there anything else that I can do?  

Troubleshooting:

1) reset router & satellites

2) reset modem

3) rebooted router

a) reset satellites

4) Went through New Setup via the app in case that would fix anything I had set/done incorrectly.

Message 15 of 27
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@briansh wrote:

Troubleshooting:

2) reset modem

3) rebooted router

a) reset satellites

4) Went through New Setup via the app in case that would fix anything I had set/done incorrectly.

try and download the previous version you were running

Message 16 of 27
briansh
Tutor

@Retired_Member wrote:

@briansh wrote:

Troubleshooting:

2) reset modem

3) rebooted router

a) reset satellites

Ooh, ok.  thanks @@Retired_Member.

Message 17 of 27
briansh
Tutor

Is there anyway that I can find out what previous version i was running, or would you strart from the last version (newest)

@briansh wrote:

@Retired_Member wrote:

@briansh wrote:

Troubleshooting:

2) reset modem

3) rebooted router

a) reset satellites

Ooh, ok.  thanks @@Retired_Member.

or the first version (oldest)

Message 18 of 27
briansh
Tutor

ignore the last response - sorry.

Should have read, is there anyway to find out the last ver I was running?  If not, would you start with the oldest firmware, or the newest (1 vesion back)?

Thanks

Message 19 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Try factory resetting the RBR before rolling back FW. You might find it fixes your problems. If not, then roll back to v30. 

Be sure to not enable Armor or Circle. 

@briansh wrote:

Message 20 of 27
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Try factory resetting the RBR before rolling back FW. You might find it fixes your problems. If not, then roll back to v30. 

@briansh wrote:

do not do a factory reset.....go to download and look for v30 (ending numbers)

Message 21 of 27
briansh
Tutor

@Retired_Member wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@briansh wrote:

do not do a factory reset.....go to download and look for v30 (ending numbers)

Thank you @VAJim & @FURRYe38.  Will do and report back on how it goes.  I appreciate your time!

Message 22 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if the reset worked or not. If not, downgrade. 

@briansh wrote:

Thank you@FURRYe38.  Will do and report back on how it goes.  I appreciate your time!

Message 23 of 27
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Let us know downgrade worked

Message 24 of 27
briansh
Tutor

I'll downgrade first and then reset.  Regarding downgrade, I should downgrade satellites first then router, or does vice versa?

Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7