Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Power Fails & ORBI

AeroHead33
Follower

Power Fails & ORBI

Not at all happy with the amount of work to regain internet after a power fail/bump. ORBI is very unfriendly, the router has no indications, and yet the satellites at least go purple/red’ish. I usually watch a satellite to determine if internet is available.  That failed tonight, satellite was still indicating, and one echo device stated no internet, while a second echo device worked just fine.

ORBI is so bad at just doing its job, that I now keep an older router in a drawer nearby, to “quickly” regain Wi-Fi and devices…..talking everything from TV’s to, tablets, and smart bulbs.

Not at all sure this was money well spent…..to be sure ORBI is consistently stable between power fails, but I am exhausted with spending an hour afterwards just trying to gat it going again. And yes, I do reboot everything sequentially, replete with physical power disconnect, with waiting times. I worked electronics for 30 years…..and accept certain limitations, along with running a smart home.

But a $30, 10 year old router (much less capable for total devices throughput) is my usual solution following a power outage. Netgear…..what say you? Weary of your high-cost, time-demanding, device(s).

Message 1 of 4

Re: Power Fails & ORBI

@AeroHead33 wrote:

Not at all happy with the amount of work to regain internet after a power fail/bump.

After a power cut, you need to check that the whole network starts in the right order.

Power cuts usually take out both the modem and the router on a network. When the power comes back on, they may start up in the wrong order, with the router starting before the modem is ready. That means that they get confused about which is in charge.

It may help to reboot the whole network in the right order.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

Message 2 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

What model Orbi do you have? 

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

@AeroHead33 wrote:

Not at all happy with the amount of work to regain internet after a power fail/bump. ORBI is very unfriendly, the router has no indications, and yet the satellites at least go purple/red’ish. I usually watch a satellite to determine if internet is available.  That failed tonight, satellite was still indicating, and one echo device stated no internet, while a second echo device worked just fine.

Message 3 of 4
pdeethardt
Apprentice

You might consider connecting your router and modem to a small UPS to avoid resets during a power loss. I'm fortunate to reside in an area with very reliable electrical service, but I have all of my networking equipment connected to UPSes just to avoid issues if there is a power blip or outage.

Are you able to log in to the router after the power blip, or do you have to power cycle it to get it to work again? The router should visually indicate if it has lost internet connectivity, so maybe there's some other issue going on between the modem and the router where it still thinks it's connected, but it's not.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7