Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Power Outage = Only Some Devices Get IP Addresses

legaleye3000
Tutor

Power Outage = Only Some Devices Get IP Addresses

If the power goes out or I unplug the router for a few minutes, upon turning back on, only some devices are able to connect. Those that are able to connect will sometime disconnect and re-connect. I find that after a day there are a couple of other devices that eventually reconnect, but largely many devices are always "attempting" to connect. 

I have a RBR40 with a RBS20 and a RBW30. I'm on 2.6.1.36 for the RBR40 and latest firmware on the satellites. Here are my settings:

-Router mode

-Enable 20/40 = unchecked

-2.4 ghz transmit power = 50% (I just changed this to try it = no difference)

-Daisy-chain = off (the router and satellite placement doesn't make sense for daisy-chain)

-Implicit beamforming = on

-Mu-mimo = on

-Fast roaming = on

***Some things that have worked in the past to fix this: -change the ip allocation (192.168.1.1 to 192.168.5.1, as an example); changing wifi password; complete reset of router and satellites (sometimes this doesn't even work if I put the settings back); RTS/CTS changed to 2304 from default/max settings; 

Any help appreciated. Thank you.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 17
vajim
Master

Re: Power Outage = Only Some Devices Get IP Addresses

how's your dhcp setting?

Message 2 of 17
legaleye3000
Tutor

"Use Router as DHCP Server" is checked. I lowered the range to 200 rather than the default 250 ip allocations. Thanks.

Message 3 of 17
vajim
Master

@legaleye3000 wrote:

"Use Router as DHCP Server" is checked. I lowered the range to 200 rather than the default 250 ip allocations. Thanks.

good...whenever I see posts like this talking about disconnects I can't help think about firmware.

You may want to consider when your problem started and how that relates to your firmware history.

others may have you check other areas.  good luck

Message 4 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Try turning OFF the RBW and RBS then power cycle the RBR and see if the problem continues. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 20/40Mhz. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Set 2.4G back to 100%. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

@legaleye3000 wrote:

If the power goes out or I unplug the router for a few minutes, upon turning back on, only some devices are able to connect. Those that are able to connect will sometime disconnect and re-connect. I find that after a day there are a couple of other devices that eventually reconnect, but largely many devices are always "attempting" to connect. 

I have a RBR40 with a RBS20 and a RBW30. I'm on 2.6.1.36 for the RBR40 and latest firmware on the satellites. Here are my settings:

-Router mode

-Enable 20/40 = unchecked

-2.4 ghz transmit power = 50% (I just changed this to try it = no difference)

-Daisy-chain = off (the router and satellite placement doesn't make sense for daisy-chain)

-Implicit beamforming = on

-Mu-mimo = on

-Fast roaming = on

***Some things that have worked in the past to fix this: -change the ip allocation (192.168.1.1 to 192.168.5.1, as an example); changing wifi password; complete reset of router and satellites (sometimes this doesn't even work if I put the settings back); RTS/CTS changed to 2304 from default/max settings; 

Any help appreciated. Thank you.

Message 5 of 17
legaleye3000
Tutor

The modem is a Arris BGW210-700. I have turned all devices off and on and synced and re-synced in every order I can think of without any change. The Arris is in bridge mode with wifi turned off so the Orbi is the only true router.  

House is 4,000.00 sq ft, one floor. I'm not sure about the distance between the satellites and router; however, they have worked perfectly fine before where they are. When the power goes out, this situation occurs. 

I've tried setting manual channels, which doesn't make a difference. We are spaced out between neighbors (1.5-2 acres between homes) so there are hardly any other wifi networks that I see. 

Armor and Circle are always disabled. 20/40mhz is always unchecked and the preamble has always been checked to auto. Just confirming, you're saying to put a checkmark to enable 20/40mhz coexistence? And also, I should change the preamble from "auto" to "long"? Thanks.

Message 6 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

@legaleye3000 wrote:

***Some things that have worked in the past to fix this: -change the ip allocation (192.168.1.1 to 192.168.5.1, as an example); changing wifi password; complete reset of router and satellites (sometimes this doesn't even work if I put the settings back);

How many devices are involved?

(With 40+ active WiFi devices, changing WiFi password would be a MAJOR endeavor for me.)

All devices WiFi? (none "wired")

Do the devices which fail to reconnect have anything in common?

Not sure if it is practical for you, but I installed a UPS to power my internet modem, router, and desktop computer during brief power outages and a (much smaller) UPS for my Orbi satellite.  Also helps protect against surges and spikes in the electrical supply.

Message 7 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

@legaleye3000 wrote:

The modem is a Arris BGW210-700. I have turned all devices off and on and synced and re-synced in every order I can think of without any change. The Arris is in bridge mode with wifi turned off so the Orbi is the only true router.  

House is 4,000.00 sq ft, one floor. I'm not sure about the distance between the satellites and router; however, they have worked perfectly fine before where they are. When the power goes out, this situation occurs. 

I've tried setting manual channels, which doesn't make a difference. We are spaced out between neighbors (1.5-2 acres between homes) so there are hardly any other wifi networks that I see. 

Armor and Circle are always disabled. 20/40mhz is always unchecked and the preamble has always been checked to auto. Just confirming, you're saying to put a checkmark to enable 20/40mhz coexistence? Yes. And also, I should change the preamble from "auto" to "long"? Try Short first, then Long. 

YOu might also try putting the Modem back in to router mode then set the RBR to AP mode. The Arris modem you have doean't actually have a full bridge mode: https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watchv=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

Message 8 of 17
vajim
Master

so it's safe to say the firmware is NOT the issue?

Message 9 of 17
legaleye3000
Tutor

CrimpON- I have problably 80 wifi devices and 2 wired. I actually did change the password and wifi name and it seemed to work. But that was last time... I do NOT want to do that again lol.

Vajim - I don't think its firmware related because this has happened with previous versions as well (unless its a bug that still hasn't been fixed in the firmware).

Furry - I am aware of the bridge mode issue with my modem. However, I did find a way to put it into a true bridge mode (this was months ago, so I forgot where on the internet I found how to do this). I like the Orbi to be in router mode so I have more control compared to AP mode... I'm going to try what you suggested and then report back after switching the settings. 

-Just so you know what is happening: Most devices like phones, computers, will connect for a while and then if I turn them off or go back to sleep, and then later turn them back on, they will not connect for like 10 minutes or so. I also have tons of KASA smart switches to control lights throughout my house and they will not connect. They will just continually blink green which means they found the wifi network but they are trying to acquire an IP address. 

Message 10 of 17
vajim
Master

@legaleye3000 wrote:

Vajim - I don't think its firmware related because this has happened with previous versions as well (unless its a bug that still hasn't been fixed in the firmware).

OK...keep that in mind.  In the meantime I feel you're in good hands.  Both of the 2 folks who posted here to help you are good.  Keep working with them and I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Good luck.

Message 11 of 17
legaleye3000
Tutor

So far no change... Just tried everything.

Message 12 of 17
vajim
Master

@legaleye3000 wrote:

So far no change... Just tried everything.

ugh...how about a factory reset?   kinda like punting the ball

Message 13 of 17
legaleye3000
Tutor

Already did that yesterday... Although all of the settings reset and everything like it should, its like the "spirit" remains and doesn't want to work lol. Thanks for the responses.

Message 14 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW version is currently loaded?

@legaleye3000 wrote:

Furry - I am aware of the bridge mode issue with my modem. However, I did find a way to put it into a true bridge mode (this was months ago, so I forgot where on the internet I found how to do this). I like the Orbi to be in router mode so I have more control compared to AP mode... I'm going to try what you suggested and then report back after switching the settings. 

-Just so you know what is happening: Most devices like phones, computers, will connect for a while and then if I turn them off or go back to sleep, and then later turn them back on, they will not connect for like 10 minutes or so. I also have tons of KASA smart switches to control lights throughout my house and they will not connect. They will just continually blink green which means they found the wifi network but they are trying to acquire an IP address. 

Message 15 of 17
legaleye3000
Tutor

2.6.1.36 - thanks.

Message 16 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, please let us know if you can do the AP mode on the RBR and see if the problem continues...

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7