Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Power adapter

cattrieu
Tutor

Power adapter

Since I cannot find any information of the ouput voltage of the adapter, so does the power adapter shipped with Netgear Orbi support 220v/50Hz power network (non US standard)?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
st_shaw
Master

@cattrieu The Orbi power adapter has the specs writtten on the side of it. It reads:

Input 100-240V~50/60Hz 1.0A

Output 12V 3.5A

Most electronic devices sold today support 100-240V and 50/60Hz with a single power supply. All you need is a plug adapter to use them anywhere. 

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 16

All Replies

its 100 to 240v so can be used with a converter if needed but be aware the fcc wifi rules for the staes may not be correct for your region

Message 2 of 16
cattrieu
Tutor

But how about the Hz? 50Hz?

Message 3 of 16

secondary o/p is d/c so freq doesnt really matter

Message 4 of 16
cattrieu
Tutor

It does matter since I bought an electronic device from overseas and the voltage input was 60Hz so there were some problems when I was using that device.

Message 5 of 16

again it doesnt matter as the secondary output is DC which doesnt have frequency involved , frequency is an issue when the secondary is AC and thus passing on the 60hz frequency

however all netgear dc adapters say 50/60mhz because it doesnt matter if the transformer is converting to DC

Message 6 of 16

i will go as far to say that the only real important figures on ac - dc transformers are wattage and amperage , as almost all current / new transformers are 100/240v and 50/60mhz

if you want to more have a read up on transformer theory

Message 7 of 16
timch
Luminary

Petey, I guess you mean voltage and current......... Perhaps you should be reading up..... 😉
Message 8 of 16

@timch wrote:
Petey, I guess you mean voltage and current......... Perhaps you should be reading up..... 😉

um amperage = current

voltage is irrelevent as all new power supplies are 110-240v these days

wattage is a calculation of voltage and amps

so i stand by what i said

Message 9 of 16
ImNoOne
Guide

Frequency DOES matter when it comes to ANY "transformered" devices.  Overheating and/or burnout can occur if 60 Hz rated devices are used on 50 Hz current, as there is not enough iron in the induction cores, and the devices overheat.  With "switching" power supplies, there is less of an issue.  The power supplies SHOULD have a voltage/current/frequency input rating printed thereon.

Message 10 of 16
cattrieu
Tutor

Finally, someone understands what Frequency means

Message 11 of 16

@ImNoOne wrote:

Frequency DOES matter when it comes to ANY "transformered" devices.  Overheating and/or burnout can occur if 60 Hz rated devices are used on 50 Hz current, as there is not enough iron in the induction cores, and the devices overheat.  With "switching" power supplies, there is less of an issue.  The power supplies SHOULD have a voltage/current/frequency input rating printed thereon.

and they all do and almost all have 110-240 and 50 to 60 hz so they are one transformer that can work world wide with just a change in the pun out

Message 12 of 16
timch
Luminary

Oh dear, you are missing the point. The thing that matters is output voltage and current. Maybe you do need to read those books Petey!

Message 13 of 16
ImNoOne
Guide

Actually, you are BOTH  right!!  🙂  The "ultimate truth" IS VDC to whatever is "supplied" by a power source with SUFFICIENT current to meet the needs of the receiving device.  This translates into "power" or VA (volt-amperes), which is commonly known as "Watts".  That's why a Van de Graff generator, producing hundreds of thousands (if not MILLIONS) of volts will not NORMALLY electrocute someone...there is not enough CURRENT (read "power")to produce the capacity to kill.

On the "flip side", how one GETS to the requisite voltage/current is ALSO  important.  If the "electrical translating device" (transforment/switching supply/battery) cannot PRODUCE the requisite energy, then it will self-destruct.  THIS is where "frequency" becomes important.  The lower the frequency at which an iron-based device (read, "core") is asked to perform, the more IRON it takes to transfer the energy required.  Thus, the device can self-destruct if improperly constructed.  "Switching power supplies" operate at elevated frequencies and thus, they require less iron in their construction, producing energy "spikes" that are then rectified and regualated to the properties required by the device supplied.

I'm too old to quote/recall the mathematics of the whole sheebang, but that's about it in a "nutshell".  🙂 

Message 14 of 16

@timch wrote:

Oh dear, you are missing the point. The thing that matters is output voltage and current. Maybe you do need to read those books Petey!

lol didnt i just say that above

P= I x V

current is the same as amps

voltage out is set internally by the tappings  so that no matter if you use 110v or 220v the dc output voltage is the same

maybe you should pull back on the smart ass a bit hey

Message 15 of 16
st_shaw
Master

@cattrieu The Orbi power adapter has the specs writtten on the side of it. It reads:

Input 100-240V~50/60Hz 1.0A

Output 12V 3.5A

Most electronic devices sold today support 100-240V and 50/60Hz with a single power supply. All you need is a plug adapter to use them anywhere. 

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7