Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Power cycling a satellite in my ethernet network, makes the network unusable.

peretz
Aspirant

Power cycling a satellite in my ethernet network, makes the network unusable.

There is a bug when I use the Orbi RBK44, which consists of an RBR40 master and three RBS20 satellites.

The configuration that I'm using to reproduce the issue is as follows:

- The master and the devices are connected using ethernet (each satellite connected to the master).
- I'm using the latest firmware version (2.1.4.10), which has to be manually installed.
- 10-20 devices connected to the network.

When a satellite is powered cycled, the network will not recover. If I try to recover the network by turning off all the devices, I'm able to turn on again the master, which works fine, but as soon as I turn on any satellite, the whole network including the master collapses.

To fix the bug, I reset all satellites (by pressing the button in the back) and then I proceed to turn back on the master and each satellite.

Any idea why is this happening? Where can I file a bug report?

Thanks

Model: RBK44| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Power cycling a satellite in my ethernet network, makes the network unusable.

Have you rebooted the satellite and router after the FW update?

I would try a factory reset on the satellite, re-add the satellite first via wifi, then connect the wire cable between the router and satellite. Give 5 minutes for the system to re-configure this mode. A BLUE LED should be seen on top. 

Check doing a power cycle. The satellilte should recover from a power cycle and a BLUE LED should be seen on top.

ANy network switches in between the router and satellite? Mfr and model#?

Message 2 of 8
peretz
Aspirant

The network was working for three months (after I installed the latest firmware), and there weren't any issues. It was only when I turned off one of the satellites that the network got into this state (I'm assuming that the satellite gets into an incorrect state and brings the network down when is powered back on) that only a reset of all three satellites and reboot of the whole networks makes it work again.

Once I reset the satellites and bring back on the ethernet network (I start with the master and then bring each satellite back on, one at a time in lapses of 5-10 min), the network is working fine again.

The master is directly connected to the modem, and each satellite is connected to the master. There aren't any switches in the network or devices directly connected via ethernet (except for the satellites)

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

You might set a IP address reservation ON the router for each satellite. Apply and reboot the router.

Message 4 of 8
peretz
Aspirant

I tried setting a static IP address for each satellite router, but it didn't make any difference.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Only other thing to try is to factory reset the entire system, both router and satellites. Set up from scratch. Start by adding 1 satellite by wifi then connect the ethernet cable. Give 5 minutes for the system to configure and look for a BLUE LED on top of the satellite. Power OFF the satellite for 10 seconds. Turn it back on. Check to see if it comes back online correctly with a BLUE LED. If, add the next satellite via wireless first, then connect the ethernet cable. Wait 5 minutes and check for BLUE LED on top. Power off the 2nd satellite for 10 seconds then back on. See if it comes to ready with a BLUE LED on top.

Message 6 of 8
peretz
Aspirant

When I set the system the first time, I turned off and on the satellites plenty of times, and the system came back without any problem. To reenable the network again, I pressed the reset button on the back of the satellites, which brings them back to the factory settings and used the initial configuration that I had saved for the master.

This seems to be a bug with the Ethernet implementation of these devices (especially that they enable the ethernet functionality in one of the latest firmware updates) when they are already operational --- with a considerable load.

Anyone know how to file a bug report?

PS I looked at the log generated in the master router (in orbilogin), and everything was fine (unless there is a hidden log for tech support people).

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

routers ipaddress\debug.htm

I would contact one of the moderators here in the forums

@DarrenM

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7