Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Pre Purchase Question

Rockinjt
Follower

Pre Purchase Question

Hi Folks,

I am new to the forum so treat me gently!

I am not a technical person and I am trying to get wifi from my house to my shop without having to dig a ditch from house to shop. My house is about 1,100 sq ft with the Router that needs to be replaced (it's a really old Netgear) at the front of the house and the shop is about 50 yards from the back of the house. And I would want to have wifi throughout the shop. The shop is about 2,200 sq ft. Would I just need a router with 2 satellites (One for the back of the house and one for the shop (this satellite would be under cover in the shop away from the weather), since the Router will be at the front of the house) or would I need a router, a satellitie and the outdoor satellite for the shop?

Any advice would be very helpful, thank you in advance.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
tucsontico
Virtuoso

I second the last post! Get a two satellite system from Costco. Configure it with the latest firmware and dasiy chain it wirelessly to your shop. Test it for a week or two under your normal and difficult circumstances. Return it if it sucks!

BTW, I have a single satellite system in my 3000 sq ft house. The base router sits about 50 feet from the satllite and the satellite covers my shop which is an attached garage about 50 feet from the satellite through two concrete block & stucco wall!. The signal isn't great but it allows me to stream Pandora and surf the web from my shop. I currently get about 80-100 Mbps in my shop with a 400Mbps Xfinity ISP service plan. Additionally, I have a solar panel array that has a WiFi output. I can see that output and it is through a third concrete block/stucco wall! (Of course this is all on the 2.4gHz band.)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
tsig
Luminary

I would put the router in the house and hardwire a single satellite in the shop.  If the single in the shop doesn't cover it, easy enough to add another.  For sure though hardwire the satellite.

Message 2 of 4
Jeremyinsf
Apprentice

I think your real question though is that you want to wirelessly daisy chain from

front house -> back house -> shop

And then you want full coverage in the shop with just one satellite.

It's a nice idea and it might work, depending on line of sight and other variables.  You would probably need to set it up and try it though.

Some here are having Orbi problems with their firmware and updates that have killed some functions.  It's too bad it's the case right now, but you should be aware of it.

I suggest that if you want to try this, you buy it at Costco where there is a no hassle 90-day return period.  

Message 3 of 4
tucsontico
Virtuoso

I second the last post! Get a two satellite system from Costco. Configure it with the latest firmware and dasiy chain it wirelessly to your shop. Test it for a week or two under your normal and difficult circumstances. Return it if it sucks!

BTW, I have a single satellite system in my 3000 sq ft house. The base router sits about 50 feet from the satllite and the satellite covers my shop which is an attached garage about 50 feet from the satellite through two concrete block & stucco wall!. The signal isn't great but it allows me to stream Pandora and surf the web from my shop. I currently get about 80-100 Mbps in my shop with a 400Mbps Xfinity ISP service plan. Additionally, I have a solar panel array that has a WiFi output. I can see that output and it is through a third concrete block/stucco wall! (Of course this is all on the 2.4gHz band.)

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7