Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Printer OFFLINE on ORBI, but IDLE on home network.

Rickd83
Aspirant

Printer OFFLINE on ORBI, but IDLE on home network.

If my computer is on the home network, the printer shows IDLE. If the computer is on the ORBI network, the printer indicates OFFLINE. If I set my computer to ORBI network and reinstall the printer, the printer shows IDLE on ORBI and OFFLINE on the home network. Is there a way that the printer can work on both networks? Since ORBI is an extender of the home network, it seems there should be a way for the printer to work on both networks.

Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Printer OFFLINE on ORBI, but IDLE on home network.

What Orbi model do you have? 

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended.

Message 2 of 9
Rickd83
Aspirant

Orbi Model RBR50

Firmware: V2.7.4.24

Router: Netgear Nighthawk Model CAX30

Rick

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend bridging the CAX30 modem if your going to use the Orbi system as a wifi mesh system. 

Would help the printer maintain connection to the one wifi system. 

Message 4 of 9
Mikey94025
Hero

@Rickd83 wrote:

If my computer is on the home network, the printer shows IDLE. If the computer is on the ORBI network, the printer indicates OFFLINE. If I set my computer to ORBI network and reinstall the printer, the printer shows IDLE on ORBI and OFFLINE on the home network. Is there a way that the printer can work on both networks? Since ORBI is an extender of the home network, it seems there should be a way for the printer to work on both networks.

How is your printer connected to your Orbi?  Is wired, then make sure it is connected to your Orbi, not your home router.

Can you tell what the IP address is of the printer when it is installed from the home network vs. the Orbi network?  I think we can learn a bit if we can examine the differences in the IP addresses.

Message 5 of 9
Rickd83
Aspirant

The printer IP address for the home network is quite different from the printer IP address on the ORBI network.

Rick

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend bridging the CAX30 modem if your going to use the Orbi system as a wifi mesh system. 

Would help the printer maintain connection to the one wifi system. 

Message 7 of 9
Mikey94025
Hero

@Rickd83 wrote:

The printer IP address for the home network is quite different from the printer IP address on the ORBI network.

That seems to be a problem them, i.e., your Orbi network should not be different from your home network because it will cause connectivity issues between the devices.

Normally people just standardize on the Orbi network and make sure all devices are connected to or downstream from the Orbi.  Alternatively, connect your Orbi in Access Point (AP) mode, not Router mode, so that it extends and is the same as your home network.

Message 8 of 9
Rickd83
Aspirant

Perfect!! That did it! Thank you so much!

Rick

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7