Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Problem accessing NAS (DLNA) from the satelite

sursan13
Aspirant

Problem accessing NAS (DLNA) from the satelite

Hello,

I have problems accessing my Synology NAS via DLNA from a device connected to the RBS.

My configuration is:

- VDSL router from my Internet provider

- Orbi RBK50 system, with the RBR configured as AP and the RBS connected via WiFi

- The NAS connected to the RBR - wired

- My Samsung TV (2019) connected to the RBS - wired

If I connect the TV to the RBR directly (wired) I have no problems, I can see my NAS and play the videos). If I connect it back to the RBS, my NAS dissapear from the available sources.

I have an older Samsung TV also connected to the RBR (wired), also no problems.

The strange thing is that if I connect the new TV via WiFi, it founds the NAS (DLNA) as a source and it polays the content (and the RBR administration site says it is connected to the RBS ...).

Any ideas how can I make it work with a wired connection to the RBS?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Is Daisy Chain enabled on the RBR? Try disabling it if it is and see. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 2 of 13
sursan13
Aspirant

Hello,

Thank you for the suggestion, I will try.

But just for my understanding, suppose I will add a 2nd sattelite, this setting will not allow the sattelites to connect between them, only to the router, right?

And just a thought, this seems to be a problem inside the sattelite, "routing" the wireless connection to its wired ports, while the wireless part works fine. I don't know how this parameter works internally, but it is kind of strange to change a wireless parameter when the wireless part works fine and the problem is with the wired part ... Am I totally wrong? 🙂

As I said, I will try, but according to the description it will reboot the entire system, I will find the right moment 😉

Just one more thing I forgot to mention, both RBR and RBS have the latest firmware available, V2.3.1.60

Thank you again!

Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya seems like the routing in the RBS is messed up since when connecting to the RBR doesn't post this problem. 

I would try a full factory reset on the RBS and RBR and setup from scratch and see if this helps any. 

Message 4 of 13
mikew_nt
Aspirant

I have the exact same situation with a Roku Ultra connected via Ethernet trying to access a Synology NAS, and the same issue.  On V2.3.1.60.

We have an older Blu Ray player connected the same way that cannot see the NAS.

I did uncheck Enable Daisy-Chain Topology, and waited out the reboot.  

Problem remained, so that does not fix it.

I am not going to do a factory reset and reconfig (I assume I will lose all my entered device identification info).

For now I'm have our Roku connected wirelessly so that my wife can access the Synology NAS from the Roku, it just seems a bit silly since both the Roku and the satellite have Ethernet ports and are less than 3' apart.

Is this bug going to get fixed?

Message 5 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@sursan13 wrote:

My configuration is:

- VDSL router from my Internet provider

- Orbi RBK50 system, with the RBR configured as AP and the RBS connected via WiFi

- The NAS connected to the RBR - wired

- My Samsung TV (2019) connected to the RBS - wired

Do these various devices have IP addresses "assigned" to them (in the web interface, Advanced Tab, LAN Setup)?

or, do they all get whatever the DHCP on the VDSL router gives them at the time?

Message 6 of 13
sursan13
Aspirant

Hello,

They all get whatever the DHCP on the VDSL router gives them at the time.

Thanks!

Message 7 of 13
mikew_nt
Aspirant

Mine are all DHCP
Message 8 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

Another silly question: When the TV is moved from one Orbi device to the other, does the Orbi get reset?  (i.e. do a Reboot, or temporarily pull the power and let it power on again)?

I am probably just waaay wrong, but I wonder if the switch in the Orbi "remembers" where a MAC address is when it shouldn't.  Ethernet switches have tables in them that say, "packets for these specific MAC addresses can be found out this specific ethernet port."

Message 9 of 13
mikew_nt
Aspirant

I don't move my device between reboots and the problem is consistent.
Message 10 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

The TV got moved, correct?  (from router to satellite)  The TV's WiFi will have a different MAC address than the ethernet port.

(I realize this is a dumb line of inquiry, because switches are supposed to be smart enough to recognize when a device moves from one port to another.  But, there hasn't been any other explanation yet.)

Message 11 of 13
mikew_nt
Aspirant

I think Netgear needs to step into the thread
Message 12 of 13
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @mikew_nt

Our support team is looking into this issue and would like to work with you. Please check your inbox. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7