Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Problem adding second RBS50 to my RBR50

bfrank
Aspirant

Problem adding second RBS50 to my RBR50

At least a year ago I bought an RBR50 that came with two RBS50's.  I've only been using one of the RBS50's and now want to add the second one.  It appears to have synced, but I am having trouble updating the software on the second one.  I downloaded the software, but am unable to upload it manually to the second RBS 50.

RBR 50 is V2.2.1.210

RBS 50 (#1) is V2.2.1.210

RBS 50 (#2) is V1.4.0.18

Please let me know if you have any suggestions.  Thank you.

Model: RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Problem adding second RBS50 to my RBR50

You need to first get the RBS #2 updated to a intermediate version since it's on a very old version of FW. Load v2.0.0.74 first. Then try to load v210 

@bfrank wrote:

At least a year ago I bought an RBR50 that came with two RBS50's.  I've only been using one of the RBS50's and now want to add the second one.  It appears to have synced, but I am having trouble updating the software on the second one.  I downloaded the software, but am unable to upload it manually to the second RBS 50.

RBR 50 is V2.2.1.210

RBS 50 (#2) is V1.4.0.18

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8

All Replies
Chuck_M
Mentor

What is precluding you from uploading?  You cannot connect?  It fails?

Try using your web browser (preferably Chrome) to go directly to the Satellite's IP and GUI.

To do this go to your ROUTER's web gui, click ATTACHED DEVICES and note the IP address of the satellite you want to upgrade.

Then put that IP address in your web browser and use the same login credentials (admin & PW)

You should be able to do a firmware upgrade directly from the satellite GUI by clicking FIRMWARE UPDATE and uploading the .IMG file you have unzipped on your PC.

If this fails, please let us know the indication of failure.

If you have questions, ask before you attempt.

BTW, your entire system needs firmware updates to .44 after you do this satellite. (Update satellites first)

Message 2 of 8
bfrank
Aspirant

I sign into orbilogin.com.  Advanced>Administration>Firmware Update>Manual Update.

Select specific RBS50 and click Update.

Click Browse.  Click RBS50-V2.2.1.212img.  Click Choose.

Please select correct configuration file (see attached screenshot) pops up.  Can't get past this.

Am I downloading the wrong update? 

Thank you.

Model: RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

You need to first get the RBS #2 updated to a intermediate version since it's on a very old version of FW. Load v2.0.0.74 first. Then try to load v210 

@bfrank wrote:

RBR 50 is V2.2.1.210

RBS 50 (#2) is V1.4.0.18

Message 4 of 8
bfrank
Aspirant

That worked.  Thank you.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Awesome. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@bfrank wrote:

That worked.  Thank you.

Message 6 of 8
sisterskinner
Aspirant

Re: Problem adding RBS50 to my RBK50

I have an old Orbi system (one router and one satellite network name Orbi44) that I am replacing with the new ORBI Voice model RBK50 router with one satellite (network name Orbi14).  I would like to use the old satellite with the new setup so that I will have two satellites. I see advice about updating the software but don't know how to do that since my system doesn't recognize it. Can you advice me? 

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Problem adding RBS50 to my RBK50

Can you get the satellite connecte to the old RBR and upgrade the satellite there first, if that succeeds, then factory reset the RBS and see if it will connect to the new RBR. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

@sisterskinner wrote:

I have an old Orbi system (one router and one satellite network name Orbi44) that I am replacing with the new ORBI Voice model RBK50 router with one satellite (network name Orbi14).  I would like to use the old satellite with the new setup so that I will have two satellites. I see advice about updating the software but don't know how to do that since my system doesn't recognize it. Can you advice me? 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7