Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Problem setting up Orbi RBK50 from Virgin media hub 3 (Modem mode)

Wai
Follower
Follower

Problem setting up Orbi RBK50 from Virgin media hub 3 (Modem mode)

Am having problems setting Orbi from a Virgin Hub 3 as modem, is this the problem because the orbi router is in AP mode because i was using it as  AP from the prevoius set up. Do i need to switch it back router mode? I thinking this probably causing the orbi not connecting to Virgin Hub 3.

Kind Regards,

Wai

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?

If ISP modem has a built in router then you can still use the Orbi in AP Mode.

Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 2 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

@Wai wrote:

Am having problems setting Orbi from a Virgin Hub 3 as modem, is this the problem because the orbi router is in AP mode because i was using it as  AP from the prevoius set up. Do i need to switch it back router mode? I thinking this probably causing the orbi not connecting to Virgin Hub 3.

As @FURRYe38 pointed out either the Hub 3 or the Orbi needs to be a "router" and the other needs to be "not a router."  From reading a few reviews, I have no impression on whether the Hub 3 has more capabilities than the Orbi (or the Orbi has more).

If the Hub 3 is acting as a "modem only" and the Orbi is in AP mode, what (I think) should happen is that the Orbi router will get a "public" IP address from the modem and that no other devices will get anything.  Or, maybe every device that asks for a DHCP address will get the same one and the modem will become completely confused about what it is talking to.  Either way, "this can't work."

Message 3 of 21
Aliena
Aspirant

Hello everyone,
I received my orbi yesterday which I ordered as I was having serious issues with dead zones .
I am a newbie and not at all an expert but I read a few threads in the past few days regarding how to connect orbi to hub 3.0 and thought I could do it.... Not so much....

I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to help me out.
I think I set hub as modem oly, turned it off, waited for magenta light to appear and be stable. Then turned it off. Then tried to set orbi.....it's not working ..

Thanks in advance and apologies if the info has already been shared!
Message 4 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@Aliena wrote:
Hello everyone,
I received my orbi yesterday which I ordered as I was having serious issues with dead zones .
I am a newbie and not at all an expert but I read a few threads in the past few days regarding how to connect orbi to hub 3.0 and thought I could do it.... Not so much....

I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to help me out.
I think I set hub as modem oly, turned it off, waited for magenta light to appear and be stable. Then turned it off. Then tried to set orbi.....it's not working ..

Thanks in advance and apologies if the info has already been shared!

Message 5 of 21
Aliena
Aspirant

Thanks furry,
I'm afraid it sounds a little too alien for me.
Is there any way to undo all changes to hub and orbi, (I tried pressing button at the back of hub hoping it would magically work as before attempting to connect orbi unsuccessfully) so that I can start again the whole process?
Message 6 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

I would recommend you contact your ISP and explain to them that you need the modem bridged if possibe. If the modem can't be bridged, then I would setup the Orbi for AP mode as seen in the last two web page links provided in option #3. This would be easiest for you I believe. 

Message 7 of 21
Aliena
Aspirant

Ok I will contact them tonight. Thanks so much furry.
One more question, if they set my gun as a bridge, what do I do after? (The links provided in previous answer were in case they couldn't bridge it right?)

Very grateful for your patience!
Message 8 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

If the ISP can bridge the modem, then you can setup the Orbi router for Router mode, this is normally default operation for the Orbi system. Setup the RBR by walking thru the setup wizard while the RBR is connected to the modem. It will help you get the Orbi system setup. Also review the Quick installation guide and user manuals for additional information regarding setup of the Orbi system. 

Message 9 of 21
Aliena
Aspirant

I will contact Virgin, they are usually very hopeless (a bit rich from me, I know . .) Hopefully they can sort hub so I can set orbi.
We moved to this house 2 weeks aho and not having WiFi is really annoying me. But I made it worse by setting hub on modem mode so now there's no internet at all!
Message 10 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you power OFF the modem for 30 seconds after setting modem mode and then connect the RBR to the modem and your wired PC to the Orbi? Sounds like your almost there. 

Message 11 of 21
Aliena
Aspirant

Wait, I was meant to connect the orbi to the pc??

I did turn it off (I was following your advice from a similar query you answer last year!)
Message 12 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, when you set modem mode on the modem, you'll need to connect the Orbi RBR to the modem and the wired PC to the RBR. Then walk thru the setup wizard on the Orbi. I should pick up the modem settings and by the end of the wizard, you should have internet access on the PC thats connected to the Orbi. 

Message 13 of 21
Aliena
Aspirant

Omg thanks!!!!!
Of course it makes sense!! I don't know how I missed that last night.
Can't wait to get home and try!!

Any particular order steps wise, or can I just go and connect orbi to pc and turned both on?
Also, mega simple level question. Last night I connected 4th hole from hub to internet hole of orbi via ethernet cable. Do I connect the other ethernet cable from pc to the white connection bit in orbi? (I think it said ethernet) or am I getting those mixed up too?
Message 14 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Hope that works for you.

That should work.

Yes, Connect modem to Yellow port on RBR and PC to white Port on the RBR. 

Message 15 of 21
Aliena
Aspirant

Fantastic !!! You are a wee star!!
It felt really daunting posting here as you all seem to speak a different language but it m glad I asked!!!
Message 16 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Hoping it works for you. Let us know. 

Message 17 of 21
Aliena
Aspirant

Hello!!
Ok so I connected them and it works beautifully all around the house and garden included with good and stable speed.

However......I placed the satellite upstairs and it appears on the orbi app as amber. When I am upstairs my mobile has good signal and remains connected to 5he main orbi router. So my question is, how can it be that my mobile can pick up the signal anywhere in our property yet orbi can't quite stablish a good connection with satellite?

And more importantly, have I wasted money buying the 2 set orbi? Would have 1 done the trick alone?
Bittersweet victory when the product works but I realised I threw moment away lol.

Ive been telling myself that right now there's only 1 device connected (my mobile) but in near future, between tablets, mobiles, Xbox etc...it might be useful to keep satellite.
Any thoughts?

Message 18 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it all working.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Message 19 of 21
Aliena
Aspirant

I think the house is around 1600 sq feet. Then the garden is huge ( not sure about dimensions, we just moved in!)

And the satellite Is placed upstairs but not immediately above router. I am not sure if that's over 30 feet. Do you reckon the coverage is still amplified thanks to the 2 devices or the main router alone could do the job?
Message 20 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll have to test to see what areas are good and what areas you may need some wireless help. Possible that 1 more RBS maybe needed. 

NG makes an outdoor RBSY satellite...

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7