Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Problem using Orbi (RBK50) with Xfinity (Comcast) modem/router

justinmshaw
Follower

Problem using Orbi (RBK50) with Xfinity (Comcast) modem/router

Orbi was working fine with my comcast/xfinity service until this weekend.  (Comcast modem/router was in bridge mode per instructions.)  This weekend my internet service started acting up intermittently and yesterday it wasn't working at all.  Tried power recycle several times, confirmed Xfinity modem was in bridge mode, had comcast cust service send modem reset, all to no avail.  The Orbi was connecting to satellite and creating local network, but the web control panel (orbilogin.com) said no internet connection. Tried the troubleshooting through the web control panel but never succeeded.  Spent over an hour working the issue with Comcast customer service and nothing was working - finally had them reset the cable modem/router to normal mode (not bridge mode) and gave up on the Orbi (powered them down).  (In normal mode, the internet service is working and the WiFi coverage works in my house, but it is back to the pre-Orbi coverage and speed, so not as good.)

Can anybody help???  Does this sound like a hardware problem with the Orbi?  Other ideas/troubleshooting?  I've exhausted my ideas as well as anything Comcast could do to help...

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 3
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Problem using Orbi (RBK50) with Xfinity (Comcast) modem/router

Hello Justinmshaw

You can test the orbi by putting it in AP mode and connecting it to the comcast modem again see if the wifi starts working on it again.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 3
Nsiddons
Apprentice

Re: Problem using Orbi (RBK50) with Xfinity (Comcast) modem/router

Did you test the Comcast modem in bridged mode with a computer connected directly to the Comcast device to see if it was actually giving out a ip? Sometimes a reset like you have done then going back to bridged mode works. Also you might wanna buy your own modem this will save on that monthly modem rental fee plus issues like this would be nonexistent. 

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7