Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Problem with Amazon Echo

Zaichik
Aspirant

Problem with Amazon Echo

I have number of Amazon Echo devices, which all connect to my Netgear Orbi mesh network. All was working well until a few days ago.

Now, one of my Echo Shows won't connect. Initially, both the Show and the Orbi app showed it was connected to the network but whenever I asked Alexa for anything, it said it had no connection.

This morning, I decided to factory reset the Show to see if that fixed the problem, but it won't connect to the network at all now.

It has no problem connecting to and working with a mobile hotspot on my phone. I can't understand why it won't connect to my main WiFi as nothing has changed. (I've checked the Orbi settings and can't see anything different. It's definitely not set to block this Echo device.) All the other Echo devices are working fine.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be?
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

@Zaichik wrote:
For some reason, no matter how many times I request for the device to be allowed like all the others, the router refuses to unblock it.
Does anyone know why? I've had to turn off access control for now because that's the only way I can restore access to the Echo Show.

Access Control seems really touchy (to me). The tables can be edited only when Access Control is ON.  It might be possible to turn the device off, and then erase it from the "Blocked devices which are not connected" table.

I am totally comfortable with not enabling Access Control.  Internet calculators claim it will take hackers about 4 billion years to brute force my WiFi password and I would surely notice a car parked outside with a hacker trying to break into my residential WiFi network. (and...What For?  It's not like I am a bank or business with secrets or money to protect.)

If you are willing to leave Access Control not enabled, there is no reason to Factory Reset the Orbi.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
Zaichik
Aspirant

OK, I've managed to get the Show to reconnect to the Orbi network after first setting it up with my mobile hotspot, but it still says it has no Internet connection.

I'm baffled.
Message 2 of 6
Zaichik
Aspirant

I've found out the problem is but I still can't completely fix it.

I've been into the advanced settings on the Orbi Web interface and found that the Echo Show has somehow been set to blocked under the access controls. I have no idea how that could have happened because it's months since I've logged in there.

For some reason, no matter how many times I request for the device to be allowed like all the others, the router refuses to unblock it.

Does anyone know why? I've had to turn off access control for now because that's the only way I can restore access to the Echo Show.
Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Factory reset the RBR and setup from scratch. No not enable Access controlls this time. 

Message 4 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@Zaichik wrote:

Access Control seems really touchy (to me). The tables can be edited only when Access Control is ON.  It might be possible to turn the device off, and then erase it from the "Blocked devices which are not connected" table.

I am totally comfortable with not enabling Access Control.  Internet calculators claim it will take hackers about 4 billion years to brute force my WiFi password and I would surely notice a car parked outside with a hacker trying to break into my residential WiFi network. (and...What For?  It's not like I am a bank or business with secrets or money to protect.)

If you are willing to leave Access Control not enabled, there is no reason to Factory Reset the Orbi.

Message 5 of 6
Zaichik
Aspirant

Deleting the device from the blocked but not online list turned out to be the solution. For some reason the Echo Show appeared in that list about 20 times. Deleting all the entries restored its access without having to turn off access control.

Goodness knows how all that happened but thanks so much for helping me fix it 😊
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7