Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Problem with Andrdoid apps when IPv6 is enabled on my Orbi system.

cdysthe
Virtuoso

Problem with Andrdoid apps when IPv6 is enabled on my Orbi system.

This is such an elusive bug that I do not expect to get it fixed, especially since I do know if it's the router or Android causing it.  Anyway, with otherwise working IPv6 enabled on my network certain apps, not all, loses connection a throw an error that the destination can't be reached. The only think these apps have in common is that  they all use Android Webview for their web based content, but I am not absolutely sure of that either. Strangely enough it always happen when the phone has been idle for a few minutes. Some days it happen several times a day and sometimes not at all for a day or two. Toggle wi-fi fixes the problem but I have apps that need to fetch content in the background that loses connection and doesn't work until I am back on the phone and toglle wi-fi. Typical apps this happens with is my podcast player AntennaPod and weather app which is AccuWeather. Pdcast feeds are not updated and the Weather app opens blank without any data available until I toggle wi-fi. It only happens on my Orbi system, never anywhere else like at work. IPv6 is set up using Auto Config since DHCP doesn't work with Andrdoid on IPv6.

Again, IPv6 works flawlessy otherwise.

This is not a huge problem but just a little annoying and I can just disable IPv6 and the problem is solved. I would still like to find out what's going on, so if anyone who know more than I do can come up with an explanation I would be pleasantly surprised.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
cdysthe
Virtuoso

ANOTHER UPDATE:  I replaced my modem CM1000 > CM2000 and the problem is gone. How a modem change can fix an Andrdoid IPv6 problem I do not understand at all. All my Android phones now stay on and are not cut off like they have been over the last couple of months. This only happend on my home network. I had no such problems on our Ubiquiry powered work network, I could not figure it out. though. I replaced my modem since my service got upgraded and I had someone who could use the CM1000. I have to say that the CM2000 seems to be a very good modem and the fact that this process somehow fixed my probnlem makes me even happier I upgraded!

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 14

All Replies
plemans
Guru

what modem/gateway do you have? 

What firmware version are you on? 

Who's your isp? 

I've currently got my RBK50 system running off my CM2000 and I'm using IPv6 without issues. Currently on comcast

Message 2 of 14
cdysthe
Virtuoso

@plemans wrote:

what modem/gateway do you have? 

What firmware version are you on? 

Who's your isp? 

I've currently got my RBK50 system running off my CM2000 and I'm using IPv6 without issues. Currently on comcast

How did you configure IPV6? Auto Config, Auto Connect or DHCP for the WAN connection? Any other out of the ordinary IPv6 settings?

I have the exactly the same setup as you, even the same modem, and IPv6 works fine otherwise. it's only some Android apps this happens with . Maybe I need to factory reset my phone?

I'm on the latest available firmware with the same modem and router as yours on Xfinity/Comcast Gigabit connection, This is only an Interent connection nothing else like phone or TV.

Message 3 of 14
plemans
Guru

I used the auto connect option. 

Nothing customized. 

What firmware is on your router? 

Have you tried using a different dns? 

try googles at 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4  

or cloudfare at 1.1.1.1

Message 4 of 14
cdysthe
Virtuoso

@plemans wrote:

I used the auto connect option. 

Nothing customized. 

What firmware is on your router? 

Have you tried using a different dns? 

try googles at 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4  

or cloudfare at 1.1.1.1

I have run Quad9, Cloudflare and Google DNS. Doesn't make any difference. Firmware is V2.7.2.104

Message 5 of 14
plemans
Guru

Did this issue just start?

Try disabling the daylight savings time and the traffic monitor and reboot the router

Message 6 of 14
cdysthe
Virtuoso

@plemans wrote:

Did this issue just start?

Try disabling the daylight savings time and the traffic monitor and reboot the router

I do not have anything enabled on the router but I do have DST set. I can try without that but not sure why that would make a difference. We will see!

I wold like to add that it make take a day or two to see if this still happens since it's only when the phone is idle it happens and often only a couple of times a day. It started a coupe of months ago

Message 7 of 14
plemans
Guru

the .104 firmware had some issues that cropped up after dayling savings times. Many found that their issues were resolved with disabling dst and the traffic monitor. Some had to downgrade the firmware to prior to the .104 version. 

Seems like netgear is aware of the issue

Message 8 of 14
cdysthe
Virtuoso

@plemans wrote:

the .104 firmware had some issues that cropped up after dayling savings times. Many found that their issues were resolved with disabling dst and the traffic monitor. Some had to downgrade the firmware to prior to the .104 version. 

Seems like netgear is aware of the issue

I think this may have something to do with the limited IPv6 support on Android. If you use DHCP for IPv6 on the LAN Android is not able to use it. Has to be Auto Config. New FW sounds like a good thing, I have a feeling this started happening after I got .104

Message 9 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

@cdysthe wrote:

Strangely enough it always happen when the phone has been idle for a few minutes. Some days it happen several times a day and sometimes not at all for a day or two. Toggle wi-fi fixes the problem but I have apps that need to fetch content in the background that loses connection and doesn't work until I am back on the phone and toglle wi-fi. Typical apps this happens with is my podcast player AntennaPod and weather app which is AccuWeather.

Is this a problem with more than one Android device?

What does "toggle WiFi" mean?

• Use Network Settings on the Android phone to turn WiFi off and back on?
  • Access the Orbi from the phone and restart Orbi WiFi?

Message 10 of 14
cdysthe
Virtuoso

@CrimpOn wrote:

@cdysthe wrote:

Strangely enough it always happen when the phone has been idle for a few minutes. Some days it happen several times a day and sometimes not at all for a day or two. Toggle wi-fi fixes the problem but I have apps that need to fetch content in the background that loses connection and doesn't work until I am back on the phone and toglle wi-fi. Typical apps this happens with is my podcast player AntennaPod and weather app which is AccuWeather.

Is this a problem with more than one Android device?

What does "toggle WiFi" mean?

• Use Network Settings on the Android phone to turn WiFi off and back on?
  • Access the Orbi from the phone and restart Orbi WiFi?

It's a problem on two Andrdoid devices both running Android 10. I am going to test with two others running Android 9 also when time permits. This is time consuming since it happens randomly. Sometimes two times in an hour and then not again until after more than 12 hours. 

"Togglre wi-fi" means turing wi-fi on and off from the dropdown menu on the home screen. I am not turning wi-tf on and off on the Orbi. 

In another post here I was adviced to turn DST off and reboot the Orbi. I have done that and have not had a drop for more than 12 hours. I do not understand how the DST setting can affect the IPv6 connection to an Andrdoid device, but if that is the solution so be it. I will come back here if I do not have any problems for more than 48 hours. Then I will turn DST on again to see if the problem returns. If it does I know it's the DST setting has some kind of effect on IPv6 and Android and I will have to wait for another firmware update. 

Message 11 of 14
cdysthe
Virtuoso

UPDATE: It was not the DST setting causing the IPv6 problems. It has happened several times since on three different phones. Internet connection lost and error messages from all connected apps. 

Message 12 of 14
cdysthe
Virtuoso

ANOTHER UPDATE:  I replaced my modem CM1000 > CM2000 and the problem is gone. How a modem change can fix an Andrdoid IPv6 problem I do not understand at all. All my Android phones now stay on and are not cut off like they have been over the last couple of months. This only happend on my home network. I had no such problems on our Ubiquiry powered work network, I could not figure it out. though. I replaced my modem since my service got upgraded and I had someone who could use the CM1000. I have to say that the CM2000 seems to be a very good modem and the fact that this process somehow fixed my probnlem makes me even happier I upgraded!

Message 13 of 14
cdysthe
Virtuoso

Third UPDATE: I was too quick. The problem is back again after a couple of days on the new modem. I have found out that it only happens if I enable iPv6 with custom IPv6 DNS. If I do full DHCP including DNS my phones stay connected. Go figure. I am hoping this is some weird firwmare issue that will go away with an update.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7