Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Problem with Canon MFP on Orbi WiFi

BakoBobT
Aspirant

Problem with Canon MFP on Orbi WiFi

I have a Canon TS9120 MFP.  When I attempt to use it to scan, I cannot connect to it through the network. According to Canon tech support, the 5G connection is not strong enough.  They suggest connecting to the 2.4 G network.  I had the same issue with my previous WiFi router.  My options are purchase an Orbi satellite (too expensive) or buy a new MFP.  Any other options that anyone can suggest to force it to the 2.4 network?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
BakoBobT
Aspirant

Re: Problem with Canon MFP on Orbi WiFi

I've determined the problem is with the MFP.  

Using a WiFi Analyzer tool, I fouind the signal strength from the Orbi is -40 dBm (basically 100% - it's pegging the needle in the greeen).  The MFP shows the signal strengh as 65%.  Even at 65%, it should be fine.  Canon apparently doesn't believe so.

I found an old WiFi extender that only does 2.4 Ghz and plugged it in next to the printer.  The signal is coming from a different direction 3 feet from the MFP.  The extender netwwork uses a different name than the Orbi network, so it 's really easy to identify.  Meter shows the new network at 100% (-40 dBm), MFP shows network at 85%.so it will now scan.  

This is the last Canon MFP I will ever purchase.  The support rep told me they upped the minimum signal strength on purpose a few months ago.  When I attached it to the Orbi, I upgraded firmware and can't go back.  Dang!

Well, it's fixed for now.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

I suppose the printer is not located close to a desktop computer or the router (sigh - ethernet or USB offers a great connection).

Do you still have the previous WiFi router? (what is it?)  Perhaps it could be set up half-way between the Orbi and the printer to extend WiFi coverage.

The tech's comment that 2.4G signals penetrate farther than 5G signals is correct.  It appears that your 5G is strong enough for the printer to detect it, but ot strong enough to make a solid connection.  There is an option on the Orbi web interface to control the power of the 2.4G and 5G radios.  On the web intrface, the Advanced Tab->Advanced Setup->Wireless Setings temporarily reduce the power of the 5G transmit signal to 25%, then see if the printer will connect and function correctly.

If the printer is not close to a computer, does it have to remain where it is?  Radio signals are a lot like "magic".  Move something 5 feet in one direction or another and the signal can vary significantly.  In the extreme case, if the printer was in the same room as the Orbi, it should pick up 5G just fine.  In fact, this would be a good experiment.  Move the printer to the Orbi and try to connect.  If it still doesn't work, then the problem is "something else."

Message 2 of 4
BakoBobT
Aspirant

I've determined the problem is with the MFP.  

Using a WiFi Analyzer tool, I fouind the signal strength from the Orbi is -40 dBm (basically 100% - it's pegging the needle in the greeen).  The MFP shows the signal strengh as 65%.  Even at 65%, it should be fine.  Canon apparently doesn't believe so.

I found an old WiFi extender that only does 2.4 Ghz and plugged it in next to the printer.  The signal is coming from a different direction 3 feet from the MFP.  The extender netwwork uses a different name than the Orbi network, so it 's really easy to identify.  Meter shows the new network at 100% (-40 dBm), MFP shows network at 85%.so it will now scan.  

This is the last Canon MFP I will ever purchase.  The support rep told me they upped the minimum signal strength on purpose a few months ago.  When I attached it to the Orbi, I upgraded firmware and can't go back.  Dang!

Well, it's fixed for now.

Message 3 of 4
BakoBobT
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestions.  The old WiFi router belonged to my old ISP.  They wanted $300 if I kept it, but I don't want it with the Orbi.  I could get another mesh unit for much less and be better off.  

I have documented the solution, in case others have the same issue, in aother reply.

Thanks, again!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7