Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Problem with wifi phone calls ONLY when a specific satellite is used

gilesy
Tutor

Problem with wifi phone calls ONLY when a specific satellite is used

A strange problem has recently cropped up. My network comprises an RBR20 router, two RBS20 satellites and a RBS50Y outdoor satellite. 

It's all been working flawlessly until about a week ago when I moved one of the satellites. Now, whenever the RBS20 satellite (called office) is on, any phone call I make over wifi calling last a few seconds and then dies. As soon as that satellite is turned off, I can make calls no problem at all. 

When that satellite is on, it connects fine, speeds are great and browsing is as expected; it's just this issue with the wifi calling. I have no phone signal where I live so wifi calling is essential....and worked great until recently!

All devices are up to date in terms of firmware and I have done a factory reset on everything and started from scratch...but to no avail. 

Any ideas?

Thanks

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Might check your phone. Has it been updated recently or anything changed? 

Might swap the RBS around to see if the problem follows. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 12

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Move the RBS back to where it had been working? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Is daisy chain enabled on the RBR? 

Message 2 of 12
gilesy
Tutor

Thanks both,

I'll preface my response by saying it all worked beautifully for more than a year and the internet connectivity is always fine; it's purely the use of my mobile phone. 

The three satellites actually cover an office in the garden too, so there is probably 12-15m between all of them. The house itself is probably just over 2000sq ft plus the office. I do have neighbours who have wifi, but it's a very rural area and they're all at least 50ft from my house.

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Might check your phone. Has it been updated recently or anything changed? 

Might swap the RBS around to see if the problem follows. 

Message 4 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

@gilesy wrote:

It's all been working flawlessly until about a week ago when I moved one of the satellites. Now, whenever the RBS20 satellite (called office) is on, any phone call I make over wifi calling last a few seconds and then dies. As soon as that satellite is turned off, I can make calls no problem at all. 

All devices are up to date in terms of firmware and I have done a factory reset on everything and started from scratch...but to no avail. 

When a problem suddenly appears, it is a common practice to ask, "what changed?"  In this case, "moved the satellite". What happens if the satellite is returned to the original position?

Attempts to remedy the problem included a factory reset on everything and reconfiguration.  Did that also include updating the firmware?

Which type of cell phone is this?  Was there a recent software update on the phone?

WiFi calling fails when this satellite is powered on, even if the cell phone is not connected to that satellite?

Message 5 of 12
tak1313
Luminary

@CrimpOn wrote:

When a problem suddenly appears, it is a common practice to ask, "what changed?"  In this case, "moved the satellite". What happens if the satellite is returned to the original position?

Attempts to remedy the problem included a factory reset on everything and reconfiguration.  Did that also include updating the firmware?

Which type of cell phone is this?  Was there a recent software update on the phone?

Agreed.  Moving the satellite MAY have caused a condition where there is sufficient crossing of the signals between the satellites/router to confuse the phone or router enough to cause transmission/reception issues.

In additiona, since Orbi has no QOS control, you are left to the routing system to decide priority.

Message 6 of 12
gilesy
Tutor

Thanks for all your help - much appreciated and it seems to have done the job. I've swapped the location of the satellites around and after about an hour of settling down, everything seems to work fine, including making calls when connected to the satellite which was previously causing the issue. 

How strange, but delighted that it's resolved and in such a simple manner.

Thank you!!

Message 7 of 12
gilesy
Tutor

By the way - the problem started when my son returned from university for Easter. It's all his fault. 

Message 8 of 12
tak1313
Luminary

@gilesy wrote:

By the way - the problem started when my son returned from university for Easter. It's all his fault. 

Yeah - the current gen is "all about me," including consuming all the bandwidth in the house.Smiley Happy

You should see how much toilet paper my daughter uses - we have to buy ours from Costco!

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves tine if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@gilesy wrote:

Thanks for all your help - much appreciated and it seems to have done the job. I've swapped the location of the satellites around and after about an hour of settling down, everything seems to work fine, including making calls when connected to the satellite which was previously causing the issue. 

How strange, but delighted that it's resolved and in such a simple manner.

Thank you!!

Message 10 of 12
gilesy
Tutor

Yes - I have that problem too here! He can try all he likes with the internet...I'm lucky to have fibre to the premises so even he can't ruin that, but he does like to tinker with the network. 

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Then don't let him tinker with YOUR network. hehe. Smiley Embarassed

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements