Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Problematic connection to the RBR20

Lorem
Aspirant

Problematic connection to the RBR20

I'm having problems connecting the Ps4 console via LAN, together with another device, to the satellite of the mesh network that I configured a few days ago. Unfortunately, the device does not receive a very strong signal, but despite this, the Wi-Fi connection works well. I therefore deduce that there may be a problem in the configuration of the satellite. Could you give me some advice or advice? Thank you!
Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Problematic connection to the RBR20

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Do devices connected to the RBR have a good connection there? 

@Lorem wrote:
I'm having problems connecting the Ps4 console via LAN, together with another device, to the satellite of the mesh network that I configured a few days ago. Unfortunately, the device does not receive a very strong signal, but despite this, the Wi-Fi connection works well. I therefore deduce that there may be a problem in the configuration of the satellite. Could you give me some advice or advice? Thank you!

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@Lorem wrote:

Message 2 of 4
Lorem
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@Lorem wrote:

The firmware loaded is the lastest: V2.3.5.26

ISP modem: Fastgate Huawei DN824SF

Home size: 120/150 sq

Distance between Orbi router and satellite: less than 10 meters

The problem with the transmission channel is that my area is full of Wi-Fi devices and all channels are congested, so I've decided to leave the selection of the channel on the automatic set. Another problem is that exactly in the nearest neightboor's room there is their modem that interfere with the satellite.

I tried to set the settings as you suggest, but there's not any significant change.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

10meters maybe too close. 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

If you area is congested with wifi signals and there is a neighbors wifi modem right next door, you may want move your system away from this area. 

You can also turn down the radio output power on the RBR which may help some. Try 50%. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7