Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Problems Streaming Media Files from NAS

cmh75
Aspirant

Problems Streaming Media Files from NAS

At present I can access my NAS from my media player and play media files without any fuss.  Unfortunately the movies will all freeze at some random time usually between 2-15 minutes.  Once frozen, the only way out is to power down the media player.  This problem has never occurred prior to the Orbi RBK50 that I recently setup.

I'm running the latest firmware at 2.1.4.16.  The NAS is a wired connection to the router.  The media player is a wired connection to the satellite.

So far, all Netgear phone support has had me do is change the MTU size from 1500 to 1450.

I'm certainly open to any suggestions.  Thanks in advance for any advice.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Change MTU back to 1500 if your on a cable connection. MTU only effects WAN side connections. 

What is the ISP mfr and model#?

Does the stream work if you connect it and the NAS directly to the back of the base router? 

Message 2 of 11
cmh75
Aspirant

Sorry, I should have added that the satellite and router are also connected via Ethernet cable.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Does the stream work if you connect it and the NAS directly to the back of the base router? 

Any network ethernet switching in between?

Message 4 of 11
cmh75
Aspirant

Sorry I have taken so long to reply, but i have not had time until recently to play around with the setup.

The problem continues.  The Orbi functions perfectly for everything I need except the streaming of media files from my NAS.  They play for a variable time and then just freeze.

I have tried connecting both to the base router but this makes no difference.  I know the beyonwiz pvr media player might be the culprit, but it works perfectly when connected to my telstra modem/router, just not the orbi.

Thanks for any advice or help.

Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

I see that when you initally posted you were on v16. Has the system FW been updated to v210? If not, you might manually load this FW to the sateliltes first then router, then do a factory reset and setup from scratch. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? 

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Can you configure the router for option 3 and see if when connecting the NAS to the back of the Orbi router continues to exibit this issue? 

Can you stream from a different device like a PC from the NAS? 

@cmh75 wrote:

Sorry I have taken so long to reply, but i have not had time until recently to play around with the setup.

The problem continues.  The Orbi functions perfectly for everything I need except the streaming of media files from my NAS.  They play for a variable time and then just freeze.

I have tried connecting both to the base router but this makes no difference.  I know the beyonwiz pvr media player might be the culprit, but it works perfectly when connected to my telstra modem/router, just not the orbi.

@cmh75 wrote:

Message 6 of 11
cmh75
Aspirant

Thanks for your help.  The Orbi is setup in router mode, and the modem is in bridge mode.

I am able to stream media files stored on my Synology NAS to my pc, just not the beyonwiz media player.  I have had no problems for over 5 years, until the Orbi was introduced into the network.

I have looked at the settings in the orbi and the NAS, but no changes appear to make any difference.

My calls to netgear have been very unproductive and I'm finding the situation very frustrating.  I just don't understand why there is this problem when everything is connected via ethernet.

Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

So you can stream media files from NAS. Just not from this one particular streaming device? 

Is this your device thats seems to be causing problems? https://beyonwiz.com.au/products/beyonwiz-t4-2tb/

I see they have many devices so this may not be exactly the one you have. 

If this is the only device that can't seems to stream, and you can from a PC. I would presume there is a problem between the Orbi system and this beyonwiz system. I would make contact with the Mfr and let them know what your seeing with there device connected to the Orbi system. See if they have any information on this. It's possible there networking drivers/protocols maybe not compatible in some way with the Orbi system. 

An alternative test would be to connect a external Gb non managed, non smart, non green ethernet switch to the Orbi router, Then connect the NAS and this streamer device to the switch to see of it can stream properly from the NAS. 

Message 8 of 11
raven_au
Virtuoso

@cmh75 wrote:

I am able to stream media files stored on my Synology NAS to my pc, just not the beyonwiz media player.

I seem to remember that some modems were fussy about the ethernet cables used when connecting to the Orbi (I think it was the Orbi).

Anyway it's not a big cost to get a new (cat6 perhaps) network cable to check.

Message 9 of 11
eljarviso
Luminary

Are you running two network cables to your synology with link aggregation enabled? If so you’ll need to disable it and remove one of the connections. The orbi doesn’t work properly with it. When I was running with link aggregation enabled I’d get random freezes when streaming movies from the NAS.
Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@cmh75 wrote:

Thanks for your help.  The Orbi is setup in router mode, and the modem is in bridge mode.

I am able to stream media files stored on my Synology NAS to my pc, just not the beyonwiz media player.  I have had no problems for over 5 years, until the Orbi was introduced into the network.

I have looked at the settings in the orbi and the NAS, but no changes appear to make any difference.

My calls to netgear have been very unproductive and I'm finding the situation very frustrating.  I just don't understand why there is this problem when everything is connected via ethernet.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7