Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Problems with Steam Link

Manguinhas
Aspirant

Problems with Steam Link

Hi all.

I have a brand new RBR20 connected to my ISP router, with ethernet backhaul to a sattelitte in my living room, where I have a Steam Link connected with ethernet to the sattelite.

The Steam link can't find my desktop computer that's connected directly to my ISP router.

Is there anyway to solve this?

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Manguinhas
Aspirant

Re: Problems with Steam Link

Hey, I got it working with the 3rd solution you provided, but I was trying the second solution, in order not to lose the router capabilities:

2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.

I've done this, but my steam link still doesn't find my desktop. 

I've attached a sceenshop of the DMZ config.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
ekhalil
Master

Of course it won’t find it since I believe that each device belongs to different network.
You have to either bridge the ISP router or set Orbi in AP mode.
Message 2 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@Manguinhas wrote:

Hi all.

I have a brand new RBR20 connected to my ISP router, with ethernet backhaul to a sattelitte in my living room, where I have a Steam Link connected with ethernet to the sattelite.

The Steam link can't find my desktop computer that's connected directly to my ISP router.

Is there anyway to solve this?

Message 3 of 9
Manguinhas
Aspirant

If I configure the Orbi in AP mode, will I lose the mesh capabilities, like it sending my phone to the sattleite if the signal is stronger, or will I lose that?

Message 4 of 9
BBB73
Apprentice

@Manguinhas wrote:

If I configure the Orbi in AP mode, will I lose the mesh capabilities, like it sending my phone to the sattleite if the signal is stronger, or will I lose that?

You will not lose that. Orbi will still be a mesh system in AP mode. Only the routing functions such as port forwarding, DHCP etc. will be done by your ISP device.

Message 5 of 9
Manguinhas
Aspirant

Thanks for the answer.

I switched orbi to AP mode and got it working. I now have acess to my desktop.
I lost the ability to switch off an individual device through the orbi app. Was that supposed to happen?
Message 6 of 9
ekhalil
Master

@Manguinhas wrote:
Thanks for the answer.

I switched orbi to AP mode and got it working. I now have acess to my desktop.
I lost the ability to switch off an individual device through the orbi app. Was that supposed to happen?

Yes, that is expected. The following router features are not available (grayed out) when the router is in AP mode:

• Guest Network
  • QoS
  • Setup Wizard
  • Port Forwarding/Port Triggering
  • Remote Management
  • UPnP
  • IPv6
  • Traffic Meter
  • Parental Controls
  • Block Sites
  • Block Services
  • VPN service
  • VLAN/IPTV setup
  • Internet Setup
  • WAN Setup
  • LAN Setup
Message 7 of 9
Manguinhas
Aspirant

Hey, I got it working with the 3rd solution you provided, but I was trying the second solution, in order not to lose the router capabilities:

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Glad you got it work.

Possible that the ISP modems DMZ may not be fully giving pass thru traffice and inhibiting some thing. DMZ can vary from modem Mfr to Mfr. 

Besure to mark your post as solved so others will know.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Manguinhas wrote:

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7