Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Problems with logging directly in to RBW30

ProgCobol
Guide

Problems with logging directly in to RBW30

When I try to login to the webpage for my just acquired RBW30 using the IP address I get username and password errors. I can login directly to my RBS40V satellite with no issues using the same username and password as my LBR20 router. I did do a reset on the RBW30 and I also pushed to SYNC button on the LBR20 router and then on the RBW30 and still no luck. The RBW30 seems to be working fine otherwise. Please let me know of any suggestions.

Model: RBW30|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
ProgCobol
Guide

Success! I can log in to my RBW30 web page by using admin/password as the credentials. Once I logged in, I was able to update the RBW30 to the latest firmware.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@ProgCobol wrote:

When I try to login to the webpage for my just acquired RBW30 using the IP address I get username and password errors. I can login directly to my RBS40V satellite with no issues using the same username and password as my LBR20 router. I did do a reset on the RBW30 and I also pushed to SYNC button on the LBR20 router and then on the RBW30 and still no luck. The RBW30 seems to be working fine otherwise. Please let me know of any suggestions.

Yes, when Orbi satellites are sync'd to the router, the satellite web access should be "admin" and the same password as the router.

Does the RBW30 satellite show up in the Orbi router Attached Devices page at the top as a satellite (along with the RBS40V)?

Message 2 of 9
ProgCobol
Guide

Yes, the RBW30 shows up just like the RBS40V as a connected satellite. The Backhaul Status is good and the Connection type is 5ghz. 

Message 3 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@ProgCobol wrote:

Yes, the RBW30 shows up just like the RBS40V as a connected satellite. The Backhaul Status is good and the Connection type is 5ghz. 

What a puzzle.  Sometimes things "shake out" if every device is powered off and then back on, starting with the router.

Otherwise, "I got nothin"

Message 4 of 9
ProgCobol
Guide

I powered everything down and backup up again there was no change. I can log in to the RBS40V satellite using its IP address and using the same username and password as I use for the router. I cannot log in to the RBW30. Otherwise the RBW30 is working as expected and shows up as a satellite in the Orbi Web browser and in the Orbi iphone app. I am stumped.

Message 5 of 9
ProgCobol
Guide

It also looks like my RBW30 needs a firmware update but since I cannot log in to the Web page, I can't apply the update. I am on V2.5.0.2 and the latest version for the RBW30 is V2.6.2.2. I tried to install the update from the Router page and it also is looking for the Username and password that I don't have. The RBW30 is quickly becoming very frustrating.

Message 6 of 9
ProgCobol
Guide

Success! I can log in to my RBW30 web page by using admin/password as the credentials. Once I logged in, I was able to update the RBW30 to the latest firmware.

Message 7 of 9
lpr1024
Aspirant

Problem: Bought a used ORBI RBW30 satellite through eBay to add to my existing mesh network, and could not log in using many combinations of "default" passwords.  This also was preventing me from updating the RBW30 to the newest firmware 

Solution:

Step one: perform a factory reset on the RBW30 (press reset button with an unfolded paperclip until top light blinks amber). 

Step two: add satellite to mesh network following instructions in the manual.  

Step three: Connect to the satellite RBW30 using a web browser directly.  The default username/password (i.e. "admin/password") now works, but the more secure password I have on my router and existing satellites did not.  But if you got this far, keep going!

Step four: manually update the firmware directly on the satellite. This means manually downloading the zipped update from Netgear, extracting the files to a folder, and surprisingly,  renaming the .chk file to an .img file prior to updating.  Don't ask me why, and Netgear doesn't warn you about it.

Step five: Password fix:  When all the satellites are connected, including the new one with the latest firmware, log into your main router from a web browser and click Advanced Tab, then Administration -> Set password.  Enter your EXISTING (and presumably secure and safe) password into the three fields: "old password" ,"new password", "repeat new password".  Click "Apply".  Voila, the password should get forced onto the new RBW30.

Comment: the "fix password" last step may also be replaced by rebooting your main router; that too may force the password to the satellites - but I didn't test that and it seems a lot more disruptive.

Message 8 of 9
antinode
Guru

> Problem: Bought a used ORBI RBW30 [...]

First, start your own new thread for your own different problem.
When you do that, you might want to provide better info.

> [...] downloading the zipped update from Netgear, [...]

What, exactly, did you download?

> [...] surprisingly, renaming the .chk file to an .img file prior to
> updating. [...]

_Which_ "the .chk file"?  I'd expect that renaming any of these
things would be a mistake.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation