Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Problems with new Orbi RBK53 setup

Pheckphul
Tutor

Problems with new Orbi RBK53 setup

I am attempting to replace my old Open-Mesh setup with an Orbi RBK53 setup. I have the RBR50 setup as an AP connected to my LAN behind a separate router (Sophos UTM), and the two RBS50s connected to the same LAN via Ethernet as well. They are all updated to firmware v2.5.1.8. The RBR50 is connected directly to an HP Procurve 2824. Both of the satellites have separate gig desktop switches between them and the 2824. This is the same setup I was using with the Open Mesh OM2Ps. 

I'm a bit confused by conflicting information between the web dashboard and the Android Orbi app. The web dashboard (dashboard) shows two connected satellites as shown in the attached file "Dasboard.png" However, the Orbi app's (app) home page shows "Satellites: 0" Also, the app's Network Map shows the two satellites with red dots and the RBR50 with a green dot. Which source of information is accurate, the dashboard or the app? ie, are the satellites operating as part of the mesh, or not?

Also, the dashboard shows satellite one connected to the "Orbi Router" via 5G, and satellite two connected to satellite one via Ethernet (not the router). My understanding from a review of the Orbis is that they work in a star topology, and not a daisychain. So, shouldn't both satellites show as connected to the router via Ethernet?

Lastly, I've read here that the satellites and router must be powered on in a specific order for the satellites to use the connected Ethernet as the backhaul. Is this still the case?

I will appreciate any help/pointers

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Pheckphul
Tutor

Sorry to waste your time. Turns out I had accidentally plugged the LAN into the RBR50's WAN port, instead of one of the LAN ports. Smiley Sad Once I discovered that, the satellites connected to the RBR50 via Ethernet.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Please review this to ensure the RBS are connected in this fashion:

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

RBS need directly connection to the back of the RBR or on same chain segment thru a switch. They can't be connected in parallel to a switch. Must be on the same segment in the chain. 

Your Procurve is a managed switch. Ensure ALL IGMP protocols are disabled on this switch. Same for other switches that RBS are connected too. What is the Mfr and model of these switches? If managed, ensure all IGMP protocols are disabled on these as well. 

Also be sure that these switches don't have any Green Ethernet features. Orbi doesn't like that feature. 

I use HP Procurve 1400/1800 series switches with my Orbi. 

Message 2 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

This is your problem:   v2.5.1.8.

Message 3 of 7
Pheckphul
Tutor

Sorry to waste your time. Turns out I had accidentally plugged the LAN into the RBR50's WAN port, instead of one of the LAN ports. Smiley Sad Once I discovered that, the satellites connected to the RBR50 via Ethernet.

Message 4 of 7
fonic
Aspirant

1. Unplug your modem and remove and replace the backup battery if it uses one.
  2. Plug the modem back in.
  3. Connect your modem to the yellow Internet port on your Orbi router using the included Ethernet cable.
  4. Connect your Orbi router to a power source.
    Note: If the Power LED on the back of the Orbi router does not light, press the Power On/Off button. 
  5. Wait for the Orbi router's ring LED to light solid white and then pulse white.
  6. Place the Orbi satellite in the middle of your house to get the best WiFi coverage.
  7. Connect the Orbi satellite to a power source.
    Note: If the Power LED on the back of the Orbi satellite does not light, press the Power On/Off button.
  8. Wait for the Orbi satellite's ring LED to light solid white, then pulse white, and then pulse magenta.
    Note: The Orbi satellite's ring LED might pulse magenta for up to one minute while the satellite attempts to sync with the Orbi router.
  9. After the Orbi satellite's ring LED pulses magenta, it lights one of the following colors for 10 seconds then turns off:
    • Solid blue. The connection between the Orbi router and Orbi satellite is good.
    • Solid magenta. The Orbi satellite cannot connect to the Orbi router. Move the Orbi satellite closer to the Orbi router.
    • Solid amber. The connection between the Orbi router and Orbi satellite is fair. Consider moving the Orbi satellite closer to the Orbi router.
      Note: If the Orbi satellite's ring LED is still pulsing magenta after about one minute, and you already moved the Orbi satellite closer to the Orbi router, press the Sync button on the Orbi router and on the Orbi satellite.
      If the Orbi satellite successfully syncs with the Orbi router, the Orbi satellite's ring LED pulses white, then lights solid blue to indicate a good connection, and then turns off.
  10. Connect your computer or mobile device to the Orbi router or satellite with an Ethernet or WiFi connection.
    Note: To connect with WiFi, find the preset WiFi network name (SSID) and password on the label on the Orbi router or satellite and connect to that network from your WiFi-enabled computer or mobile device.
  11. Download the Orbi app or visit http://orbilogin.com to set up your Orbi WiFi network.
    The Orbi router's ring LED turns off after the setup is complete.
Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad its working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Pheckphul wrote:

Message 6 of 7
fonic
Aspirant

@fonic wrote:
  1. Unplug your modem and remove and replace the backup battery if it uses one.
  2. Plug the modem back in.
  3. Connect your modem to the yellow Internet port on your Orbi router using the included Ethernet cable.
  4. Connect your Orbi router to a power source.
    Note: If the Power LED on the back of the Orbi router does not light, press the Power On/Off button. 
  5. Wait for the Orbi router's ring LED to light solid white and then pulse white.
  6. Place the Orbi satellite in the middle of your house to get the best WiFi coverage.
  7. Connect the Orbi satellite to a power source.
    Note: If the Power LED on the back of the Orbi satellite does not light, press the Power On/Off button.
  8. Wait for the Orbi satellite's ring LED to light solid white, then pulse white, and then pulse magenta.
    Note: The Orbi satellite's ring LED might pulse magenta for up to one minute while the satellite attempts to sync with the Orbi router.
  9. After the Orbi satellite's ring LED pulses magenta, it lights one of the following colors for 10 seconds then turns off:
    • Solid blue. The connection between the Orbi router and Orbi satellite is good.
    • Solid magenta. The Orbi satellite cannot connect to the Orbi router. Move the Orbi satellite closer to the Orbi router.
    • Solid amber. The connection between the Orbi router and Orbi satellite is fair. Consider moving the Orbi satellite closer to the Orbi router.
      Note: If the Orbi satellite's ring LED is still pulsing magenta after about one minute, and you already moved the Orbi satellite closer to the Orbi router, press the Sync button on the Orbi router and on the Orbi satellite.
      If the Orbi satellite successfully syncs with the Orbi router, the Orbi satellite's ring LED pulses white, then lights solid blue to indicate a good connection, and then turns off.
  10. Connect your computer or mobile device to the Orbi router or satellite with an Ethernet or WiFi connection.
    Note: To connect with WiFi, find the preset WiFi network name (SSID) and password on the label on the Orbi router or satellite and connect to that network from your WiFi-enabled computer or mobile device. mcdvoice login
  11. Download the Orbi app or visit http://orbilogin.com to set up your Orbi WiFi network.
    The Orbi router's ring LED turns off after the setup is complete.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7