Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Procedure to go from WiFi to wired backhaul - RBK50 and RBS50

TodOrbi
Aspirant

Procedure to go from WiFi to wired backhaul - RBK50 and RBS50

My setup is:  ATT modem (100Mbps down 25Mbps up service) > RBR50 in AP mode > wireless backhaul > RBS50       30 connected devices

The ATT modem is handling the DHCP

My current set up is working well.  Only been installed for two weeks.  

Both the RBR50 and RBS50 have been updated to firmware version 2.5.1.8

I also have an 8 port unmanaged gigabit switch connected to the RBR50.

I would like to see if I get a higher connection speed with wireless devices using a wired backhaul. I have an ethernet run such that I can link the RBS50 to the gigabit switch and change from a wireless backhaul to a wired backhaul.   

From my readings on the forum I think the procedure would be as follows:

1.  Turn off the RBS50 and plug in my ethernet cable, one end into the RBS50 and the other end into my switch.  My switch is connected to the RBR50.

2. Turn on the RBS50

3. Wait for the white pulsing light to stop, and press the Sync button on the RBS50 and then press the Sync button on the RBR50

4. Let them Sync and than see what the connection is between the RBR50 and RBS50 using the Orbi web interface, orbilogin.com  and go to basic/attached devices   and look at the Connection type

Questions:

1. Do I need to do a factory reset on the RBS50 when I start it up in step 2?

2. I saw something about deleting the wireless connection first between the RBR50 and RBS50 in the web interface.  I can get to where I see the connected devices by logging on to orbilogin.com and then going to basic/attached devices    But I don’t see how to disconnect the RBS50, but do I even need to disconnect the RBS50?

Thanks in advance,

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
TodOrbi
Aspirant

Thank you for the fast response.  I'll do this tonight.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

No factory reset or disconnection is required.  The satellite should recognize that it now has ethernet capability and switch over by itself.

Quite some time ago, people recommended temporarily relocating the satellite to be near the router when plugging in ethernet, but I have not heard anyone mention doing that in some time.

Message 2 of 3
TodOrbi
Aspirant

Thank you for the fast response.  I'll do this tonight.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7