Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Product Registration - Orbi RBR50 (believe was returned to the store prior to my purchase)

JMichell
Aspirant

Product Registration - Orbi RBR50 (believe was returned to the store prior to my purchase)

I purchased an Orbi RBK50 system yesterday from Target. I believe the devices may have been a return because I had to reset the router to get the factory SSID and password. Also, when attempting to register the product to my netgear account it says this product is already registered to another customer.

I need help from netgear to get this product registered to myself and off the other persons account.

I would really recommend netgear come up with a way to request this from the registration process. Posting here seems like the only option because I can’t get in to access support without registering the product.

Thanks for any help possible.
Message 1 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Product Registration - Orbi RBR50 (believe was returned to the store prior to my purchase)

You could haul it back to Target and say, "Give me a NEW one in a sealed box." ???

Message 2 of 6
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

Re: Product Registration - Orbi RBR50 (believe was returned to the store prior to my purchase)

The most common solution to that problem, when posible, is at the first sign the product is a restock, is to return it for another. Personally I would not even mess with it. You did not pay for a restock or refurb.

Message 3 of 6
JMichell
Aspirant

Here’s the thing, I already have my everything on my network moved over. Including shutting down the 5 GHz WiFi to add all my various “smart” devices with 2.4 GHz only.

Frankly that process was a bit of a PITA considering it should just move on it’s own since the new SSID and key I created are the same as my previous router. I understand that’s the fault of the various manufacturers of the devices and not netgear, but having to pull out the PC and shut it down instead of using the app like I did for everything else in setup was pretty inconvenient.

Had the device been rest to factory settings before return I never would have known. Packaging was all there, wrapped well.

I’ll give it a day and if not resolved consider exchanging with the retailer and doing all this again.
Message 4 of 6
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

Definitely sympathize.  One thing: I found while adding 2.4GHz devices that caution you to "set your phone for the 2.4GHz network" are mostly concerned with dual network systems that are NOT mesh, where there is a chance of extenders, etc., having two separate SSID's that incorporate the 2.4 or 5.GHz nomenclature. Probably walking around with your laptop was unnecessary. If you replace your system with another, and your devices already know the SSID you have given them, you most likely will not have to reset any of them. I say "most likely". Perhaps there will be a stubborn one for some unknown reason.

My experience: Set up my system, kept my main SSID from my previous dual band router, everything hooked up except the devices I had connected to an extender SSID, which had long name like "Main SSID - X.XGHz". Since then I have added many 2.4GHz devices with just their apps and all have connected without doing a thing to the 5GHz band on my phone. In your case, you should be able to hook up fine with just giving the new system if you return it the same SSID.

Message 5 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@JMichell wrote:
Frankly that process was a bit of a PITA considering it should just move on it’s own since the new SSID and key I created are the same as my previous router.

I think this could use more discussion.  For years, I have always installed new Wi-Fi with the same SSID and password as the previous one, in part so that I could "go back" if the new Wi-Fi was disappointing, and also to have a "backup" Wi-Fi "just in case."  What would cause devices not to connect automatically to a new Wi-Fi that duplicated the credentials of the previous one?

I could see, perhaps, that a device could learn the MAC address of the previous Wi-Fi and stubbornly keep looking for it.  It would seem that doing a "power reset" on the device should solve that possibility.  I am not happy that my strategy may not be valid.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7