Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Properly connecting wireless backhaul for Orbi RBR50/RBS50

LSStream
Guide

Properly connecting wireless backhaul for Orbi RBR50/RBS50

To anyone who is attempting a WIRED backhaul configuration of their Orbi system (in this case, RBR50 base and two RBS50 satellites), remember that the satellite units must be wired directly into the LAN ports of the base unit, either directly or using a switch. The configuration will not function properly if the satellites are wired at the same layer as the base unit WAN (i.e., yellow) port (e.g., via a switch). That is, the first configuration below WILL work properly, but the second one WILL NOT work properly. Hopefully, this will help anyone striving for a wired backhaul. I did not see this documented anywhere, and it took me some testing to figure this out and confirm it. In my personal situation, I had the base unit located centrally in my house on the first floor, away from my R7800 router (which is in the basement with WiFi disabled on the router, so that only the Orbi is being used for WiFi), with one satellite unit on the second floor, and one satellite unit in the basement. I needed to run two additional Cat6 cables to the base unit location in order to deploy a wired backhaul configuration.

20190908 Wired Backhaul w Switch 1a.jpg20190908 Wired Backhaul w Switch 2a.jpg

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Properly connecting wireless backhaul for Orbi RBR50/RBS50

This should still apply:

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...
https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-mean

Be sure that your switch is a non Green Ethernet featured switch. IF using a managed switch, be sure that any and all IGMP protocols are disabled ON the switch. 

Message 2 of 4
LSStream
Guide

Yes, the star and daisy chain topologies will work, too. However, the point is that, for proper wired backhaul, the satellites need to ultimately connect to the LAN port(s) of the base unit, and not to, for example, a switch or router to which the WAN port of the base unit is connected. This configuration might exist in those who are using Orbi in AP mode with a separate router or gateway connected to the WAN. The practical implication of the need to connect wired backhaul this way is that additional Ethernet cables running to/from the base unit will invariably be necessary should the base unit be located some distance from the router/gateway being used. In my case, I needed to run these additional cables.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

My RBS is connected behind four daisy chained Gb LAN switches while my RBR50 is in router mode currently. Has worked like this since getting a RBR50 to play with day one. After factory resetting the RBS50, connect it to the last switch and let it sync. Or press the sync buttons. Works like this in AP mode as well. OF course the WAN port on the RBR is only used for connection to the main ISP modem when in router mode or main host router when in AP mode. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7