Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Purchase Advice Needed

twm1969
Follower

Purchase Advice Needed

Greetings!

I am the proud new owner of Gig internet speed from Comcast / XFinitiy.  Through Ethernet I am getting consistently 900MB plus, which is great.  On 5G wireless it ranges from about 750mb right beside the current wireless modem/router (XB6) to 450mb or so maybe 40 feet away.  

Our home is 3600 square feet on 3 different levels.  We use the internet on each level, a few devices.

My goals are:

Drastically improve current performance over todays Netgear extenders

Provide consistent throughput throughout the home

Get as close to Gig speed as possible throughout the home (I understand the challenges here)

My basic question is:  What setup do I need?  One router and a satellite for each of the other two floors?  I saw a thread about multiple router setups.  Is that the way to go?

Other questions are:

What is the realistic max throughput from the main device to the satellite (a loaded question I know at it depends on distance and structure).  But, what is practical max throughput

Is a two router setup possible?

Is the troughput between router and router faster than router to satellite?

I am currently only getting about 20mb to 40mb off of the Netgear EX7300 (AC2200) extender.  I would really like to massively see an increase over this.

All thoughts and suggestions are welcome!

Message 1 of 5
st_shaw
Master

Re: Purchase Advice Needed

Keep in mind that Orbi has a maximum WiFi link speed of 866 Mbps on 5 GHz.  You will only see 50-60% of that in wireless throughput, under ideal conditions.  This means the most you will ever see is around 500 Mbps, and that would be right next to the Orbi router.

Message 2 of 5
tsig
Luminary

Sitting in my living room where my main unit is located, the Orbi app gives me a link speed of >800 Mbps.  My internet is only a 50/50 service though so no way to test it.

Message 3 of 5
eljarviso
Luminary

Multiple routers with ethernet backhaul (not wifi mesh).  Thats the only way you'll receive close to gig speeds.  My throughput when i'm in the same room connected is about 650Mbps sustained transfer (copying file from my wireless Mac to my wired NAS).  If you have the ability to wire in your access points i'd recommend buying a 3 pack of ubiquiti ac pro access points instead of the netgear stuff.  Their hardware is more stable and their software is better.

Message 4 of 5
st_shaw
Master

@eljarviso wrote:

Multiple routers with ethernet backhaul (not wifi mesh).  Thats the only way you'll receive close to gig speeds.  My throughput when i'm in the same room connected is about 650Mbps sustained transfer (copying file from my wireless Mac to my wired NAS).  If you have the ability to wire in your access points i'd recommend buying a 3 pack of ubiquiti ac pro access points instead of the netgear stuff.  Their hardware is more stable and their software is better.

@eljarviso Are you saying you are masuring 650 Mbps throughput on AP-AC-PROs?  I don't think I've ever seen anyone claim that.  The best I've measured on mine is about 500Mbps with an iPhone 7+.

The PRO's processor is a little anemic.  You need to buy the newer, and much more expensive, HD model to get the higher throughput.

This article is consistent with my experience, and shows that the AC-PRO is about equal to the Orbi in throughput, with a slight edge to the Orbi.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/33084-ubiquiti-ac-pro-and-ac-lite-access-p...

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7