Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Purchased an Orbi RBK50 and experiencing slow wired connection

phazedz
Aspirant

Purchased an Orbi RBK50 and experiencing slow wired connection

I recently purchased an Orbi AC3000 (RBK50) and have not had any issues from a wifi perspective. However, when I finally got my ethernet system up and running, I noticed that I was getting only half the speeds ~500 mbps from my ISP (Gigabit Internet from Comcast) when directly wired in the following sequence: Netgear CM1000 -> Orbi AC3000 RBK50 -> Computer

I have also tested direct wired connection from Netgear CM1000 -> Computer as well as Netgear CM1000 -> Switch -> Computer where I experience a wired speed of around 900 mbps down. I am on the latest firmware drivers.

I have two questions:

1) Are there any known fixes or workarounds for this or is this expected behavior?

2) Am I able to configure my network to be routed with the following: Netgear CM1000 -> TP-Link 8 Port Gigabit Switch (TL-SG108) -> Orbi AC3000 RBK50 with the computers being hard wired connected to the switch instead of the Orbi?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Purchased an Orbi RBK50 and experiencing slow wired connection

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

Last time I tested mine was seeing near 900Mbps:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-is-not-supporting-900Mb-on-the-WAN-to-LAN-test/m-p/...

CM1100 cable modem here. 

What is the mfr and model # of this switch? The switch should never be configured between the ISP modem and Router. 

@phazedz wrote:

I recently purchased an Orbi AC3000 (RBK50) and have not had any issues from a wifi perspective. However, when I finally got my ethernet system up and running, I noticed that I was getting only half the speeds ~500 mbps from my ISP (Gigabit Internet from Comcast) when directly wired in the following sequence: Netgear CM1000 -> Orbi AC3000 RBK50 -> Computer

I have also tested direct wired connection from Netgear CM1000 -> Computer as well as Netgear CM1000 -> Switch -> Computer where I experience a wired speed of around 900 mbps down. I am on the latest firmware drivers.

I have two questions:

1) Are there any known fixes or workarounds for this or is this expected behavior?

2) Am I able to configure my network to be routed with the following: Netgear CM1000 -> TP-Link 8 Port Gigabit Switch (TL-SG108) -> Orbi AC3000 RBK50 with the computers being hard wired connected to the switch instead of the Orbi?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Message 2 of 4
phazedz
Aspirant

My Router and Satellite are currently on v2.5.1.8. I noticed you had swapped the wan connections which appeared to do the trick. Right now, I am caped around the 500mbps down when hard wired to my computer with the following configuration: CM1000 -> Orbi Router -> TP-Link Switch -> PC. When I tested with CM1000 -> TP-Link Switch -> PC, I am getting above 900mbps down.

The switch is a TP-Link 8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Network Switch (TL-SG108)

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you test with the PC directly connected to the RBR? 

Ensure your using good quality LAN cables. Cat6 is best. 

The switch though it's not managed, it has green ethernet features:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/service-provider/unmanaged-switch/tl-sg108/

I would factory reset, both Modem and RBR and use the wired PC directly connected to the RBR and walk thru the setup wizard. Don't had the RBS. After completing the wizard, speed test right afterwards. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7