Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Purchased two mesh kits - Can I convert second router to satellite?

robsquatch
Tutor

Purchased two mesh kits - Can I convert second router to satellite?

Hello,

I purchased the RBK22 system from Costco, then decided to replace it with the RBK43 system from Best Buy for more coverage.  However, I quickly figured out I could use the extra satellite from the first system by syncing it with my new system.  That leaves me with the original router.  Can I convert this to a satellite?  I see multiple articles about converting to an AP, but not a clear answer to whether I can use it as a satellite.  What is the difference between a satellite and an AP?

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Connect-2-Orbi-RBR40-routers-together/td-p/1675964/jump-to/fir...

Satellite is just another name for wireless extender. NGs naming convention for there Orbi remote extenders. AP is a device that broadcasts a wifi signal. It does not repeat or extend wifi from other wifi sources. 

Message 2 of 4
robsquatch
Tutor

This router is already in AP mode because I used my FIOS for routing instead. As it sits, it should be able to be added as an AP? Will it have the same SSID and work seamlessly like the rest of my system already does? Or does it need a unique SSID?
Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

It could have the same SSID however you would need to make sure the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz channels are not the same. If you have one set for channel 1, the other one needs to be set for channel 11, Set 5Ghz to 36 and the other one to 48. Ensure the two are placed as far appart as possible. 30 feet to start. Again the 2nd RBR in AP mode will not be appart of the 1st MESH system, Will just a a separate wifi source is all. If you encounter problems, besure to turn off this AP for troubleshooting. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7