Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Putting Modem in Bridge Mode for Orbi Installation

Brenkj
Aspirant

Putting Modem in Bridge Mode for Orbi Installation

I just got my new Orbi RBK50, and I'm getting ready to install it.   I've found instructions online for how to put my ATT-provided modem into "bridge mode", so that the Orbi will be the only device broadcasting a wifi signal.    Should I do that before or after I install the Orbi?

Thanks.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 15
ekhalil
Master

Please do it before you start the Orbi setup.

Good luck! 🙂

Message 2 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

@Brenkj wrote:

I just got my new Orbi RBK50, and I'm getting ready to install it.   I've found instructions online for how to put my ATT-provided modem into "bridge mode", so that the Orbi will be the only device broadcasting a wifi signal.    Should I do that before or after I install the Orbi?

Thanks.

Yes, before setting up the Orbi.  There is a difference between the ATT modem "mode" and the ATT modem WiFi radios being on.  It can be a router, but not provide WiFi.  Most Orbi users prefer to do what you are doing: ATT in bridge mode, ATT radios off.

Message 3 of 15
Chuck_M
Mentor

Do that before installing.

And to be precise, you have a modem/router combination.   

Bridging it will turn off the router functions and pass through to the Orbi to handle routing.

Bridge it

Power off

Connect Orbi

Power on Modem, Orbi and PC

Set up (hard wired ethernet if possible)

Enjoy

Message 4 of 15
Brenkj
Aspirant

Thanks for the responses. I did all those steps, in that order, but the Orbi app is saying there is no internet connection, and that an Ethernet cable cannot be detected. Any advice?
Message 5 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Try setting up the Orbi first with a PC or laptop thats connected to the Orbi router. 

@Brenkj wrote:
Thanks for the responses. I did all those steps, in that order, but the Orbi app is saying there is no internet connection, and that an Ethernet cable cannot be detected. Any advice?

Message 6 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

Is the Orbi connected to the ISP modem using an Ethernet cable from the WAN (Yellow) Ethernet plug on the Orbi to "Port 1" on the ISP modem?  If it is, then I would first try a different Ethernet cable.

Message 7 of 15
ekhalil
Master

@Brenkj wrote:

Can it be a bad cable that connected between Orbi and the ATT router? Is the cable connected to the yellow WAN port in the Orbi router?

Message 8 of 15
ekhalil
Master

@CrimpOn 🙂 🙂

Message 9 of 15
Brenkj
Aspirant

Okay, will do. Where should the cable be connected on the modem? I have 4 ports marked “Ethernet,” and one marked “DSL Broadband,” but the cable included with the Orbi doesn’t fit in that one port. Thanks
Message 10 of 15
ekhalil
Master

@Brenkj wrote:
Okay, will do. Where should the cable be connected on the modem? I have 4 ports marked “Ethernet,” and one marked “DSL Broadband,” but the cable included with the Orbi doesn’t fit in that one port. Thanks

It should go to one of the 4 "Ethernet" or LAN ports on the modem. Since the modem is bridged please try the one marked 1 first.

Message 11 of 15
Brenkj
Aspirant

I tried 2 different cables, including the one that was working with my Apple router as of today, so I don’t think the cable is the problem.
Message 12 of 15
ekhalil
Master

@Brenkj wrote:
I tried 2 different cables, including the one that was working with my Apple router as of today, so I don’t think the cable is the problem.

- Are you connecting the cable in the modem to the port marked as number 1? Have you tried the other 3 ports as well?

- If you disconnect Orbi and connect the other end of the cable from the modem to a PC, will it get internet access?

Message 13 of 15
Brenkj
Aspirant

Well, now it’s showing cable connected and internet detected. But when I try to finish configuration, I keep getting a configuration error.
Message 14 of 15
Chuck_M
Mentor

Have you restarted your modem recently?  Might be useful to reboot modem and router and see if that helps.

Takes a few minutes to reboot... do the modem first.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7