Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

QOS is neutering my wifi speed

OrbiMan
Luminary

QOS is neutering my wifi speed

Hi guys my Orbi for the most part works well. My device are generally getting good speed. However I got a new wifi adapter from edimax. I am getting good download speeds but upload speed is so slow 300-500 kbps slow. I searched online I found that it has to do with QOS.
Low and behold I found the QOS settings in Orbi which limit upload speed to pretty much that. But I can't change the value or turn it off. Please help. Anyone know telnet command that could do it?
Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
st_shaw
Master

Re: QOS is neutering my wifi speed

@OrbiMan wrote:
I think it was the adapter fault. Although I do find it strange that I got 15 MBps download and only at best 1 MBps up. If it is a weak adapter with weak antenna I would expect both directions to be affected. Anyone have any wise idea?

Edimax AC1200 Wi-Fi USB Adapter Supports Web 2, MU-MIMO, Nano Size Lets You Plug it and Forget it, For Windows, Mac OS, Black/Silver (EW-7822ULC)

Makes perfect sense. Many people don't realize that when a client connects to an AP, there are two connection rates--one for download and one for upload.  The upload is often much slower due to the poor WiFi capabilitie of the client device.

That Edimax adapter you have is a tiny little USB dongle with a very small antenna. Orbi has multple large antennas and high transmit power.  So, Orbi can get lots of RF power out to the Edimax adapter, but not the other way around.  So you get a good download connection and a much slower upload connection.

I have a similar Edimax adapter, the 7811UTC.  As I write this, it's connected to my Unifi AP 10 feet away at 433 Mbps down, but only 24 Mbs up!

You need one of the dongles with large external antennas to get decent AC speed.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
OrbiMan
Luminary

Screenshot_20171015-070501.png

Message 2 of 8
st_shaw
Master

It's not clear that this setting is your issue. This QOS page isn't accessible from the normal GUI menu, so it's not intended to be used.  Also, my Orbi shows the same settings as yours, so it's probably the default, and I'm not limited to 512 kbps. I'm in AP mode though.

You could try changing kbps to mbps and hit Apply.

Message 3 of 8
OrbiMan
Luminary

I tried the settings would not change
Message 4 of 8
Mikey94025
Hero

@st_shaw wrote:

Also, my Orbi shows the same settings as yours, so it's probably the default

It's not the default.  My "Enable Upstream QoS" checkbox is not checked in http://orbilogin.net/QOS_main.htm .  I'm careful never to run a Speedtest under Advanced... Setup... QoS Setup because I read somewhere a while back that it turns on QoS.  I don't want my wireless router to ever control my network traffic speed.

Message 5 of 8
st_shaw
Master

@Mikey94025 wrote:
@st_shaw wrote:

Also, my Orbi shows the same settings as yours, so it's probably the default

It's not the default.  My "Enable Upstream QoS" checkbox is not checked in http://orbilogin.net/QOS_main.htm .  I'm careful never to run a Speedtest under Advanced... Setup... QoS Setup because I read somewhere a while back that it turns on QoS.  I don't want my wireless router to ever control my network traffic speed.

I did run a speed test, but did not change any settings under QOS.  So, perhaps unchecked is default, but 512Kbps and checked is default once you run a speed test.

In any case, my connection is not limited to 512 kpbs.

One question for the OP is whether this issue is limted to his new Edimax adapter, or all wireless devices.  If it was a QOS issue or router issue, it would be all devices.

Message 6 of 8
OrbiMan
Luminary

I think it was the adapter fault. Although I do find it strange that I got 15 MBps download and only at best 1 MBps up. If it is a weak adapter with weak antenna I would expect both directions to be affected. Anyone have any wise idea?

Edimax AC1200 Wi-Fi USB Adapter Supports Web 2, MU-MIMO, Nano Size Lets You Plug it and Forget it, For Windows, Mac OS, Black/Silver (EW-7822ULC)
Message 7 of 8
st_shaw
Master

@OrbiMan wrote:

Makes perfect sense. Many people don't realize that when a client connects to an AP, there are two connection rates--one for download and one for upload.  The upload is often much slower due to the poor WiFi capabilitie of the client device.

That Edimax adapter you have is a tiny little USB dongle with a very small antenna. Orbi has multple large antennas and high transmit power.  So, Orbi can get lots of RF power out to the Edimax adapter, but not the other way around.  So you get a good download connection and a much slower upload connection.

I have a similar Edimax adapter, the 7811UTC.  As I write this, it's connected to my Unifi AP 10 feet away at 433 Mbps down, but only 24 Mbs up!

You need one of the dongles with large external antennas to get decent AC speed.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7