Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: QOS on RBR50

MightyT
Star

QOS on RBR50

I am perplexed about the QOS setting having nothing more than a Speed Test button? Is it me? How are we suppose to assign priority?

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 10
BillYoung
Luminary

MightyT:

No, it is not just you.  My setup also has only the SpeedTest option for the QoS Setup.  I don't know if any other options for this are coming or not.  You'll have to wait for a response from someone from Netgear.

Sorry about that.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 2 of 10
st_shaw
Master

You cannot set priorities.

Orbi has the GUI for NETGEAR's "Dynamic QoS."  This uses speed test results to manage bandwidth.  This type of QoS, where the only settings required are upload and download speed is common, and is used by Eero, Mikrotik, Edgerouter, and other NETGEAR routers.  You can click on the "?" help icon on the QoS page to read about how it's supposed to work.

However, I tested Orbi's QoS using the dslreports speed test, and it doesn't seem to have any effect on buffer bloat, so it doesn't seem to work at the moment. Maybe it will be enabled in a future fimrware release. Who knows.

Message 3 of 10
MightyT
Star

Thanks guys! Glad it’s not me missing something! Surprised though, since Orbi has been out for over a year. I’d have expected at least the same capability as the R6300 Router I had. Guess I have no choice but to wait and see. 😔
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 4 of 10
Jeremyinsf
Apprentice

Message 5 of 10
st_shaw
Master

@Jeremyinsf wrote:

http://orbilogin.net/QOS_main.htm

Have you tested your router to see if the settings on this hidden page actually work?

Message 6 of 10
Jeremyinsf
Apprentice

I'm not currently using it as I have 1Gb symetric fiber and that's far more than I need to use, let alone prioritize.

However, when I was on DSL previously and needed to share limited speeds with voip and vpn, it seemed to help.

Do you have indication that it does... nothing?

Message 7 of 10
st_shaw
Master

@Jeremyinsf wrote:

I'm not currently using it as I have 1Gb symetric fiber and that's far more than I need to use, let alone prioritize.

However, when I was on DSL previously and needed to share limited speeds with voip and vpn, it seemed to help.

Do you have indication that it does... nothing?

No. In my testing, the non-hidden QoS page seems to do nothing, so it would be odd for this hidden QoS page to work.

I have not tested this hidden page myself, and I have never seen a post from anyone who has tested it. However, there are many posts on here wanting QoS, so it would be good to know if this actually works.

I use a third party router, so I don’t currently need QoS on Orbi either.

Message 8 of 10
Cmo1
Apprentice

The QOS is basically broken and does nothing.  It's one of about 10 things I wish netgear would fix.  They either employ really dumb engineers or just plain don't care.  

Message 9 of 10
MightyT
Star

Thanks again everyone! That’s unfortunate and appears to be more of a tease than a feature. Have no choice but to wait. 😐
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7