Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

QOS speed test and speedtest.net different

CaptShip
Aspirant

QOS speed test and speedtest.net different

ok so I purchased and setup the unit today - ISP Spectrum - 200Mbs - new modem this week

test on my phone using speedtest app getting 40-50 Mbs only which is hardly any better than the lynksys system I replaced. The brand new Roku Premier devises are also only showing 40-50 Mbs, our Samsung phones show 50-70 Mbs

using the speedtest in the Orbi app I installed during the setup process while in the exact same locations as the above tests getting 206-211 Mbs results - seems very strange that all others show much much slower speeds

LAN hard wired computers testing at 210 Mbs

I see discussinons abot QoS settings yet when I go to admin settings on QoS page only option is to speed test which have 210 Mbs results.

have done setup twice with no changes

Any thoughts/suggestions

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: QOS speed test and speedtest.net different

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Are you wired or wireless when testing?

Trying different servers with speedtest.net and different browsers and devices? 

Message 2 of 12
CaptShip
Aspirant

Hi

thanks for reply

Cable Modem : Charter made in China Model E31T2V1 - DOCSIS 3.1 eMTA

Hardware: RBR50 FW 2.2.1.210

Speed test has been wireless, tested on my smartphone using both Speedtest in the Orbi mobile app ( understand provided by ookla)

and the OOKLA mobile app

Tested just now- 6 feet from Orbi base with similar results when testing near the Orbi satellite

down 209.18 up 11.72 using Orbi Mobile app speedtest

down 44.24 up 10.78 using ookla speedtest mobile app

Have tried different servers on ookla speedtest app with essentially same results, no ability to change servers on the Orbi mobile app

LAN test 211 up

appreciate any assistance/information you can provide.

Seems very strange to have such a disparity using the same device to test with only the app different

have tried in addition speedcheck and fireprobe speed check apps with similar reults

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

I tend to trust wired connections over wireless first off. Too many variables with wireless. 

Have a different mobile device to test with? 

Try a laptop maybe if possible. 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).
Disney Circle disable if enabled as well.

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.

Message 4 of 12
CaptShip
Aspirant

Hi and thanks for reply

Further testing today using Surface laptop connected to wifi on 5ghz band, channel 48, and using 802.11ac protocol speed shows between 195 – 200 Mbs depending where in house I am testing which is same as results using the Orbi mobile app.  Tested using a variety of test programs with same results.  Testing at same time using my phone using the ookla speed test app still getting the 30- 40 Mbs

It seems to me my remote devices are default connecting to the 2.4 Ghz band resulting in the much lower speed. I would guess the Orbi app is designed to only test on the 5Ghz band using the 802.11ac protocol.

I also just discovered my one week old brand new Roku premier streaming devices do not support the 802.11ac protocol, the earlier generation of the device did, go figure,  new “improved” model loses connectivity to 5ghz.

I am off to purchase another Roku device which supports the ac protocol – Roku Streaming Stick + or the Roku Ultra  - appear to be the only new generation of Roku devices that only connect to the 11ac protocol.

Will update after installing and testing the new device.

Thanks again for your assistance

Message 5 of 12
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

By the way, I ditched the Ookla mobile app due to getting really strange slow readings on it compared to Ookla on the web (independently or through Orbi), and other speed tests using both pc and mobile. Also ditched the Ookla Chrome extension for Google for the same reason. All activity indicates I am getting the speed and those apps are doing somethig else. For me.

Message 6 of 12
CaptShip
Aspirant

Hi

I tried a variety of speed test apps with similar results for all.

The odd thing is I discovered my new Roku Premier device did not suport the 802.11ac protocol (previous generation of the device did) so I purchased a Roku streaming stick + which is a 802.11ac dual-band MIMO only device - set it up and fully expected to see close to the 200 mbs download speed that I am getting on the laptop sitting less than a foot away from the roku device - but nope the connection test feature in the Roku device is showing only 41 Mbs download speed -  why - who knows - hopefully that speed suffices for my streaming needs (from what I have read it should) - we are planning to cut the cable cord to save money - and are setting up and testing everything to make sure we are happy with the results before cutting the cord.

Hopefully someone can explain why the difference in download speeds and if there are router or other tweaks that may help  - It is kind of driving me nutty trying to figure it out!

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

If your phone using the Oolak app isn't getting over 40mb, then there maybe something wrong with the app or the phone. I know my phone, 6sP gets well over that using that app. 

Thanks for letting us know about the Roku. Ya, you need a streamer that support 5Ghz at least. 

Message 8 of 12
CaptShip
Aspirant

Suspect the phone is only getting 40 - 50 mbs down is because it is connecting on the 2.4 ghz band.

I can see in the Orbi admin the Roku Streaming Stick Plus device is connected on the 5Ghz band channel 48 using 802.11ac protocol, it is only showing 35 - 40 Mbs download speed, very puzzling.  The download speed is determined using the Roku built in speed measuring app.  When I connect a Surface laptop on the same 5Ghz band and place it a foot away from the Roku device downloading at 200+ Mbs.

Will be heading over to the Roku forum to see if this has been reported and if so any solution.

Probably should have just purchased the Roku Ultra device which has a RJ45 port and connected direct to the Orbi satellite and be done with it!

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

You can try this, turn down the 2.4Ghz radio on the Orbi router temporarily to see if you can get the phone to connect to the 5Ghz radio. Find this under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless settings. Check 25%. Appy the change. Turn Off the phones wifi after the Orbi router has come back to ready, then turn it back on. The phone should connect to the 5Ghz radio. Load up wifisweetspots on your phone from the store to see what the connection rate is between the phone and routers wifi. It should see at least 867Mb I believe. Some where in that range. If you don't, something maybe wrong with the phone. 

Message 10 of 12

So I I got an RBR50 and RBS50 running up in my house.

I am using an Arris Surfboard SB8200 and subscribe to Comcast Xfinity 150/5 mbps BLAST! internet.

The 2 set combo was working just fine, but I came across a 3 set combo for an incredible deal and purchased it.

Upon setting it up, resetting cable modem, etc., the speedtest wired and wireless were running 80mbps when the previous 2 set combo was working at 180mbps.  I wired up directly to the cable modem and it was 180mbps.  I then checked the speedtest under the ADVANCED tab: SETUP --> QoS Setup which is basically just a glorified speedtest.  This test also got 180mbps.  So I knew something had to be happening during the router distribution aspect.

I came across another Netgear forum which mentioned QoS settings.  Someone said that there is a more advanced page that is not available on the regular routerlogin firmware page  (https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Hidden-Orbi-QOS-settings-Do-they-work/td-p/1598178) a post by Breggen gave the URL:  http://routerlogin.net/QOS_main.htm

Once there I UNCHECKED the defaulted box of: 

Enable WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings

I have no idea if that is checked always for everyone and why it would not have been checked on my previous 2 set combo when I reset it to default settings upon purchase.

Regardless if YOU are having speed issues and know it is not your cable modem and the router firmware speedtest in the regular QoS setup is posting normal speeds, please go to the "special" QoS settings and disable WMM.

This took me a while to figure out.  Thank you everyone!

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW version are you using on the Orbi?

Enable WMM is wireless QoS. It should be always enabled for wireless devices and performance with wireless connections. IT should have no impact on wired connections.

https://kb.netgear.com/221/WMM-WiFi-Multimedia

Others have this enabled and get to spec speeds. I know I do. 

Seems like if the prior Orbi was working well and the newer one didn't, maybe a configuration issue or a difference in something. 

@RadioactiveMan wrote:

So I I got an RBR50 and RBS50 running up in my house.

I am using an Arris Surfboard SB8200 and subscribe to Comcast Xfinity 150/5 mbps BLAST! internet.

The 2 set combo was working just fine, but I came across a 3 set combo for an incredible deal and purchased it.

Upon setting it up, resetting cable modem, etc., the speedtest wired and wireless were running 80mbps when the previous 2 set combo was working at 180mbps.  I wired up directly to the cable modem and it was 180mbps.  I then checked the speedtest under the ADVANCED tab: SETUP --> QoS Setup which is basically just a glorified speedtest.  This test also got 180mbps.  So I knew something had to be happening during the router distribution aspect.

I came across another Netgear forum which mentioned QoS settings.  Someone said that there is a more advanced page that is not available on the regular routerlogin firmware page  (https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Hidden-Orbi-QOS-settings-Do-they-work/td-p/1598178) a post by Breggen gave the URL:  http://routerlogin.net/QOS_main.htm

Once there I UNCHECKED the defaulted box of: 

Enable WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings

I have no idea if that is checked always for everyone and why it would not have been checked on my previous 2 set combo when I reset it to default settings upon purchase.

Regardless if YOU are having speed issues and know it is not your cable modem and the router firmware speedtest in the regular QoS setup is posting normal speeds, please go to the "special" QoS settings and disable WMM.

This took me a while to figure out.  Thank you everyone!

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7