Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

QoS Orbi RBK50 Problems

pjanke
Tutor

QoS Orbi RBK50 Problems

I am not sure if this forum is just not used much, but I have not seen any recent posts about QoS problems with Orbi mesh routers. From my troubleshooting research, I know that this is an issue with many owners, (or that strange issues that I read about are related to QoS problems)
I have had many varying issues with my RBK50 router with each of the many firmware updates, but a recurring and disappearing issue is apparent with my Samsung phone. Specifically I can reproduce a problem with my Ring Doorbell app in which it takes 120 seconds to launch when using the Orbi router, and 8 seconds when using 4G LTE Cellular service for data.
It took several months, and a brand new Ring Pro Doorbell from Ring's incredible (especially compared to Netgear's non-existent) customer service to pin point the issue to the router. The issue is related to the slow delivery of video internet packets from the Orbi router to the Samsung phone. The automatic bandwidth prioritization that is supposed to be provided by the QoS feature also affects other video streaming devices)
I have checked this forum and other internet sources to try and find a solution. I have concluded that it is probably related to the QoS bandwidth prioritization feature that is part of the Netgear firmware. Previous versions of firmware, specifically for my Netgear Nighthawk R8000, allow for easy off/on selection of QoS, and modification of individual priority statuses for individual devices connected to the router. The current firmware as of 5/21/19, V2. 3.1.60, does everything automatically related to QoS. Basically to use it, you run a Speedtest, and BAM!, it's supposed to work. (Most users don't even know this, as there is no notification that you have activated QoS, or that you have done anything other than run a Speedtest.) It doesn't work!
So from my research to troubleshoot the problem, I read that Netgear recommends to turn off QoS with internet speeds of greater than 300Mps. I have Spectrum 400Mps cable internet, using a Netgear CM800 modem. To turn QoS off, you uncheck the boxes for WMM in "Advanced Setup - Wireless Settings" for each radio. So after doing this, my internet speed, measured using the "Speedtest" app on my phone and pc, went from over 450Mbps, to under 10Mbps dowload, AND THIS DIDN'T FIX THE PROBLEM APPARENT WHEN LAUNCHING THE RING DOORBELL APP!!
So after hours and hours of troubleshooting, I have reverted to using my Netgear Nighthawk R8000 Tri-band router as I have no issues when I use this router.
I am very upset that I have purchased a $450 Netgear mesh router that after 7 months does not work properly, and Netgear does not provide customer service for it.
Apparently they have spent their time and money adding the Netgear Armor feature to the recent firmware, asking for a substantial subscription fee and adding a pop-up to the software that is in your face each time you launch the software!
They are sadly mistaken if they think that they'll ever get another penny from me!!
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: QoS Orbi RBK50 Problems

To get Orbi to work better, one needs to factory reset the RBR and this time, do not enable the speedtest feature. Also WMM is wireless QoS which needs to be always enabled for wireless to perform well. If you disabled this then this would add to bad behaviors.

If you give this a try this may help with your app load and launch performance behaviors. Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

This forum is posted on daily and hourly and can be very active. However, not many have had issues like you describe so assuming others have similar issues would be incorrect. I haven't seen this with Orbi and I have a few apps that launch just fine over Orbi. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

To get Orbi to work better, one needs to factory reset the RBR and this time, do not enable the speedtest feature. Also WMM is wireless QoS which needs to be always enabled for wireless to perform well. If you disabled this then this would add to bad behaviors.

If you give this a try this may help with your app load and launch performance behaviors. Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

This forum is posted on daily and hourly and can be very active. However, not many have had issues like you describe so assuming others have similar issues would be incorrect. I haven't seen this with Orbi and I have a few apps that launch just fine over Orbi. 

Message 2 of 5
pjanke
Tutor

Thank you for your reply and assistance. I will give the factory reset a try without running the Speedtest. I will leave all other parameters at factory default. I will also check performance before and after firmware upgrades for informational purposes. I'll report back with my results.
Thanks again for the suggestions!
Message 3 of 5
pjanke
Tutor

First I wanted to sincerely thank you for taking the time to read my post, evaluate my issues, and use your expertise to suggest a possible solution. I wanted to let you know that your solution of doing a factory reset and not doing the Speedtest to activate the QoS feature... WORKED!!
You can't believe how happy I am after weeks of frustration and pulling my hair out, to have a relatively easy solution. I feel a little embarrassed that I didn't consider the factory reset option, but I don't know if I would have figured out to not activate the QoS by not running the Speedtest. I also was hesitant to do the reset as my previous Netgear Nighthawk Router required a significant manual re-setup after a factory reset, so I avoided it at all costs.
The factory reset and guided set up in the Orbi initialization was a breeze. I was really impressed as to how easy it was to get back to normal operation after the reset. I really wish that Netgear would re-include the on/off check box for QoS in the set up options like it has in the firmware for other routers. I can say that the wifi speed measured on my phone and pc using the Speedtest app is about a third to half as fast as was measured with the QoS feature activated (from 420Mbps to 135Mbps with QoS deactivated after a factory reset, and the other parameters set that you recommend in the advanced setup) . Perhaps at a future date I'll activate QoS and see what happens, although Netgear recommends in their literature to deactivate QoS for internet speeds of 300Mbps and faster.
So again, I really appreciate you sharing your expertise to help with my problems.
I thought about editing my initial post to remove some of the negative comments that I posted out of shear frustration of not being able to find answers to my issues in the Netgear help database, and I still feel that Netgear should be more accessible to customers who are spending several hundreds for a new router, (mine cost $450), and Netgear is not willing to provide no cost tech support for a reasonable amount of time as all problems do not occur in the first 90 days of ownership. It seems crazy to spend almost half a grand on new communication technology, and then to be left unsupported by the seller of the product...but I want others to see that asking for help on this forum as a first option is the best way to prevent lots of frustration. I let my pride in thinking that I should be able to figure out the solution to my problem get in the way of just asking someone who knows more than I for help.
Thank goodness for those who are willing to give of their time and expertise to help those in need. At least there is this forum and its knowledgeable members!
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear and glad it's working now. Sometimes a reset shouldn't be needed however in this case when Speedtest is enabled and one wants to disable it, a reset is needed. Most resets help clear up mis-configurations as well. 

Glad it's working better now. Remember to save off a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. Helps if a reset is needed again later on, you'll save time by loading this up from the file. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7