Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: QoS for Orbi RBR40

troutteaser
Guide

QoS for Orbi RBR40

I have an Orbi RBR40 and Spectrum internet with 400 mbps, but I am having intermittent issues with voice quality for VOIP (webex, skype etc..) calls.  I don't see a QoS setting for the RBR40.  Are there any other settings I can change to try and improve the robotic voices and video freezing.  Happens for both ethernet and wifi connections.  

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Orbi has parameters that appear to indicate QoS, but there is no user control that anyone has found. With 400mb service, one would not expect problems, QoS or not. 

Message 2 of 9
troutteaser
Guide

I found outher posts indicating NG has simply not given adequate consideration to connectivity issues that can arise from the way they have set up their backhaul.  Here's a quote from another post on the issue of  Orbi dropping connection to VOIP...

"I know for certain that the ethernet backaul feature of the Orbi's, at least as of firmware version 2.1.2.18, is too unstable to use. There is no way to force the Orbi to use either the ethernet or wireless backhaul, and the system will not consistently stay on one or the other. The net effect is that you can end up with both the original stability issues (if an Orbi decides to use a wireless backhaul for whatever reason), or deal with a broadcast loop caused by a multi-path issue (both a wired and wireless path to a MAC address), or deal with random "cut outs" for all devices as the Orbi changes from using an ethernet vs wireless backhaul."

I am firmware V2.3.5.30 and have similar issues as others were having with older firmware.  Note, I use a VPN for all of my business internet activity, and cannot have a VOIP or web conference without some form of interference or screen freezing.  Unless, NG comes up with a fix business users, like me, will either have to use cellular service for all calls or find another mesh router system that is more accomodating to VOIP usage.

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since the last FW update? I would try this. I would also give the following a try as well. 

What devices are you having this problem with? 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Try turning OFF the RBS for now and just test with the RBR with your voice devices. Then test with RBS online afterwards. 

@troutteaser wrote:

I have an Orbi RBR40 and Spectrum internet with 400 mbps, but I am having intermittent issues with voice quality for VOIP (webex, skype etc..) calls.  I don't see a QoS setting for the RBR40.  Are there any other settings I can change to try and improve the robotic voices and video freezing.  Happens for both ethernet and wifi connections.  

Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@troutteaser wrote:

Message 5 of 9
troutteaser
Guide

Yesterday I removed my existing two satellites and factory reset my RBR40.  Then added two new replacement satellites to my Orbi mesh system.  So far things are working, but time will tell.  Thank you for following up.

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

So bad RBS huh? Interesting. Glad you got it working. 

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. 

Message 7 of 9
troutteaser
Guide

I think it is a bit premature to say my issue is solved.  I'll give it a few weeks and see how things go.  Regards.

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds good. Let us know how it does then. 

Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7