Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Question about Orbi and Xfinity

switters
Apprentice

Question about Orbi and Xfinity

I've ordered an Orbi Mesh system and will be setting it up with an Xfinity XB6 gigabit connection. I understand that I'll need to put the XB6 in Bridge Mode. I came across this article in the Xfinity forums explaining how to do that. 

The article says "When Bridge Mode is enabled, you will not be able to use Xfinity xFi and xFi Pods (Learn the advantages of xFi)." However, someone on the Xfinity forums said that they are using Orbi, have the XB6 in Bridge Mode, and are still able to use xFi. 

For those of you using Xfinity with Orbi, are you still able to use xFi?

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Question about Orbi and Xfinity

I guess I'm curious why?

if you're planning on using xFi and its features, you could just put the orbi in AP mode.  You'd lose some of the features of Orbi but you'd still get the wifi coverage and the xFi would keep its routing setup.

If you want to use the Orbi's features, then why would you want the xFi features? 

Message 2 of 4
switters
Apprentice

That's a good question. The primary reason I want the Orbi Mesh system is for better/faster WiFi. I had read on a couple other forums that some people prefer the feature set of xFi to the Orbi app features, so I was just wondering if it's still possible to use xFi.

It could turn out that I'm completely fine with Orbi's features. 

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

If you want to use the Orbi in router mode with all it's features, its best to configure the ISP modem for bridge mode. This is preferred. 

You can use the ISP modem in router mode and use it's DMZ for the Orbi router as well, however this may cause some additional wifi problems having two wifi systems running near by each other. Not recommended. 

Or use the modem as a router, disable it's wifi and configure the Orbi for AP mode as a option as well. Thought I hear that xFinity can turn on wifi at will on users modems. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7