Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Question about auto-updates

Mayhugh1
Apprentice

Question about auto-updates

I've owned my Orbi for probably 4 years now and after the first few updates have had few problems with it. I was glad when the auto updates stopped a few years ago and I've remained on version 2.3.5.30 with absolutely no problems. (By auto update, I mean an update that is pushed without my consent). All the updates I do are by logging into the router, letting the router download the most recent software and then me giving consent to the update. So, since I thought Netgear quit doing the auto updates long ago, I'm confused when I read on the forum about owners still getting auto updates pushed to them. Since I never want to suffer through this auto update mess again, is there something these owners are doing to enable these auto updates? Does a factory reset re-enable them?

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Question about auto-updates

@Mayhugh1 wrote:

Since I never want to suffer through this auto update mess again, is there something these owners are doing to enable these auto updates? Does a factory reset re-enable them?

I have one Orbi system that remains on 2.3.5.0  since August, 2019, and I have done nothing to prevent Netgear from pushing updates.

We all agreed (during the original setup) that Netgear can update the router firmware.  My guess is there may come a day when Netgear will determine that some issue is so critical that an update is imperative and do so.  "Just say no" when offered an update and I think you'll be all right.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7