Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Question about distance and RBK 50

Vespasion
Tutor

Question about distance and RBK 50

I have the latest firmware for the orbi and using Widows 10 Home.

I love my Orbi.  It has done what they claim it does.  It solved all my wifi extender problems.

This is my situation and I am hoping knowledgeable people can help me here.

My router is about 50-60 feet from my satellite and connects very well to all my devices.

At first I was getting tremendous speeds. I pay for 300mbps and get 480mbps on a PC hard wired.

However, when I first attached my orbi router to my orbi sat., I was getting over 80mbps and now just 40 is all I get.

I raised the orbi satellite in the target house and it was too high. The speed dropped.  I lowered it to be more in line of sight but it did not help. Too high and too low.  Both wrong.

I was wondering if i buy an outdoor orbi satellite would that help speed up the signal between one house and the target house? Something between the router and the first satellite inside.

What does the community think?

Thanks

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 
https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings

Message 2 of 12
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

For that long of a distance, I suggest 3 options:

1. Add another satellite in between to be able to daisy chain to the further satellite
  2. Run a CAT6 cable between the router and satellite to give a gigabit link between the two
  3. Use a WiFi outdoor bridge between the two buildings if they are over 50 feet apart (search Amazon or other retailers)
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 3 of 12
Vespasion
Tutor

Thank you for the fast reply.  I have an outdoor air bridge in my cart on Amazon ready to go.  I am sure this will boost things up.

Thank you again for your help

Message 4 of 12
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

I hope the WiFi bridge works for your issue.  Please mark this thread as resolved if that works.

Message 5 of 12
Vespasion
Tutor

I am sure it will, but that is another almost $300 for the kit I have to come up with.

It is like one problem solved leads to another chunk of money. 

Not a critisim of your advise, but that is just life today.

Message 6 of 12
Vespasion
Tutor

Everything you said to do was pretty much already done when I got into the property boxes to change them.

I changed my DNS server to comodo and pages render instantly on my hard wired PC. I have never seen speed like that

before in my tech backward state of La.  In order to get more distance I need to go to 2 G speed instead of 5G and see how that works.

Message 7 of 12
Vespasion
Tutor

I was wondering, On Amazon they offer a bridge kit that comes with two bridge units for $240.  Do I really need two?

They also offer a single bridge as well for much less.  Why couldnt I just buy one and place it between my router in one home and the orbi sat. across they yard in the main home?  If it would send a stronger signal hop across the yard, wouldnt that be enough instead of buy two bridges?

Thanks

Message 8 of 12
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

I have not used a WiFi bridge, but reading about them tells me that 2 are needed to span a longer distance.  Both units transmit and receive in a focused signal to each other, thus they can concentrate their power in a straight line rather than in a sphere like a normal antennae.  Depending on your distance, it may be cheaper to bury a CAT6 or CAT7 cable between the two buildings to link your router in one building and satellite in another building.

Message 9 of 12
Vespasion
Tutor

What about a powerline wifi bridge?

Message 10 of 12
Vespasion
Tutor

I got my Bridge in from Netgear (Amazon) and will attempt to install it today.  It looks really complicated and I doubt I have the brains for it, but if i get it up and running and it does its job, I will post resolved on your reply to my original question.

This is why I havent posted resolved yet, because I havent installed the bridge yet.

Thanks

Thomas

Model: WBC502 Insight Instant Wireless AirBridge
Message 11 of 12
Vespasion
Tutor

I tried all day to install the bridge and finally gave up.  It is way too complicated to install.  Every other step requires a password and change of IPS.  Too much of a hassle to intall.

I am sending it back to Amazon and getting another orbi satalite instead.  Installing Orbi's are a breeze, and they up and running right away.

No hassles, no errors, and no problems.

Model: WBC502 Insight Instant Wireless AirBridge
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7