Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Question about setting up Satellite to switch

jgille8
Aspirant

Question about setting up Satellite to switch

So I just bought the AC2200 with the router and 2 satellites.  My home is wired for cat6 all over and I have a switch off the router.  I'm wondering if at one of the spots I put a satellite if I can hardwire it to the satellite to help improve the speeds.  I have gig internet and I'm getting 450-475 about downstairs 20-30 feet from my router.  When I go upstairs 10-15 from the satellite and "technically" probably closer to the router I get 76. When I go to the farthest point of house near the other satellite I get 137.  Both points of where my satellites are have ethernet hookup that goes back to my switch.  I plugged it in to the one and it basically turned my wifi off (went magenta and solid) and I had to restart both and unplug the ethernet cord.  Any help would be awesome on why my speeds drop so much when I get near a satellite.  

Message 1 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Orbi does not support ethernet backhaul.

Message 2 of 8
jgille8
Aspirant

Does any of the systems like Orbi do that?  I wasnt sure on the correct terminology so thanks for that.

Message 3 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Orbi is the only system right now like Orbi.  Others use Mesh topology.

Message 4 of 8
st_shaw
Master

@jgille8 If your whole house is wired, the best approach is to use a number of wired WiFi access points.

However, if you want to use Orbi, it will work best if you use the house wiring to place the router in the center of the home (perhaps very far from the Internet drop), and then put the sateliites on either side of the router, towards the ends of the house.

Message 5 of 8
jgille8
Aspirant

So I have a rambler home, and I have the router right next to my modem in the utility room in basement.  One satellite to the north of it on the main floor in pantry and then the other one at the very north spot in my bedroom closet.  do you think I should put the router in my pantry and then a satellite downstairs by router?  just more of a pain if i ever need to restart both of the modem/router

Message 6 of 8
st_shaw
Master

@jgille8 If it's working OK now you don't need to change anything.  If you want to change things, keep in mind that each satellite links back to the router using the 5 GHz backhaul. To get the best backhaul signal you would want the rotuer in the middle of the satellites, so one satellite is not too far away from the router.

Like this:  SAT <--> ROUTER <--> SAT

If you have a rambler, you coul put one SAT towards each end of your house, and put the router in the middle, midway between the two satellites. You could leave the router in the basement if that's more convenient for you. The signals should travel through the floor OK.

Message 7 of 8
jgille8
Aspirant

sounds good, thanks for your help!

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements