Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Question about switching from pppoe to ap mode?

Moonras
Aspirant

Question about switching from pppoe to ap mode?

Hello, I was just wondering if anyone has tried switching from Pppoe to ap mode without any issues? I'm using the RBR50 system.

Whenever something happens and my internet goes out I have to reset the modem as well as the orbi which gets kind of annoying as it seems to happen a bit with the vdsl internet here. The modem is currently in bridge mode and the orbi system handles the rest.

I was just wondering if I set the modem back to default, disabled it's wifi radio, and then set the Orbi router to AP mode, would I also have to reset all my satellites or will they just keep working as they are?

My system is currently like this, one side of the house has the modem from the isp>orbi router

In the center of the house is a satellite connected wirelessly, and on the far end of the house is another satellite sitting close to a window. Then there is one in the garage daisy chaining off the third one because it is a good distance.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Question about switching from pppoe to ap mode?

Switching to AP mode the RBS will follow. They will just get a IP address from the ISP router thru the RBR thats in AP mode.

While in AP mode the Orbi just acts as a wifi accessible system that passes all traffic to and from the ISP modem is all. Does not routing or device management. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

When switching the RBR from router to AP mode, you need to ensure that there is a host router active and running in front of the RBR thats going into AP mode. A router is needed when Orbi is in AP mode.

I would turn OFF the RBS before you configure the Orbi for AP mode. 

Be sure the RBRs WAN port is connected to the host routers LAN port. 

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 2 of 5
Moonras
Aspirant

Hello, thank you for the quick reply.

I would set the modem/router combo back into it's default mode instead of the bridged mode I have it in now. So the Orbi RBR50 would have a router behind it. My main question is would I have to reconfigure all the satellites with the Orbi RBR50 by simply switching the system to AP mode? Or would everything just continue to work as is just in AP mode with the modem/router doing the routing?

It isn't a huge deal it's just that in AP mode I don't think I'd have to reboot the entire system every time something goes wrong with my ISP or modem. I think because it's PPPOE is part of the problem with having to do that. So if I just let the modem handle the router/PPPOE stuff I think that might help. I just don't really know how the Orbi works in AP mode to be honest, I haven't had the system long and apart from this one issue I absolutely love it. There is a new company around here running fiber internet through the rural areas. I'm hoping it will make it's way here soon but until then I'm stuck with Windstream and it has it's own problems.

Thanks again.

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Switching to AP mode the RBS will follow. They will just get a IP address from the ISP router thru the RBR thats in AP mode.

While in AP mode the Orbi just acts as a wifi accessible system that passes all traffic to and from the ISP modem is all. Does not routing or device management. 

Message 4 of 5
Moonras
Aspirant

Ok, thank you very much, I will give it a shot then and see if it helps fix my issue or at least not make it so bad having to restart everything. I really do appreciate the help.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7