Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Question for optimal setup (NAS positioning : router or satellite ?)

a2fontaines
Tutor

Question for optimal setup (NAS positioning : router or satellite ?)

hello, I have ORBI RBK50 Solution Unique Wifi Multi-Room AC6000.

I have a internet box which doesn't work in "bridge mode" so I put the Orbi in "bridge mode".

I have :

- the Orbi router and the internet box in the kitchen connected in ethernet

- the Orbi router and Orbi satellite connecting in wifi

- the TV and NAS connected on the ethernet ports of the satellite.

My question is simple : is the setup good for the NAS or should I put it behind the Orbi router  ?

-> I do not know if this setup just move the data through the "switch" of the satellite... or if it makes the data go on wifi from the NAS back to the Orbi router (in bridge mode) to reach the internet box router...  and then finally back to the TV, again on wifi

-> the 2nd option would make 2 wifi communications to play a multimedia file... which is obviously not optimal...

Forget me, it is not very IT speaking, but I hope you will understand my question... 😉

Aloys

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
eljarviso
Luminary

Out the NAS on the satellite as these two devices will be using it the most and you’ll avoid the wireless backhaul. The optimal solution would be to connect the satellite via Ethernet and then dump your NAS on your “Core” switch (either the main Orbi or the device doing your routing.
Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

For optimal and recommeded performances with NAS, connect the NAS behind a Gb LAN switch thats connected behind the Orbi router. 

Message 3 of 5
a2fontaines
Tutor

sorry @eljarviso I did not get the "out" word.

And there is no option to put an ethernet between the Orbi router and orbi satellite... otherwise, i would have bought only a switch and not an Orbi system 😉

For @FURRYe38 , i do not have a GB Lan switch...

So the question is quite simple -> should I put the NAS on the ethernet port of the Orbi Router or on the ethernet port of the Orbi satellite ? 😉 (i recall that the TV that will be playing content from the NAS is connected with ethernet on the satellite)

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Gb LAN switches are inexpensive. 

Try the NAS connected to the RBR first then test the configuration. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7