Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Question on Orbi 2nd 5ghz Band

rinku2012
Tutor

Question on Orbi 2nd 5ghz Band

Hello,

All the existing routers ( AC3200 or AD 7200) has both 5ghz bands of combined 2600Mbps and 4600+1733+800 Mbps of speeds on AD7200 Router

I see that Orbi has 1x 2.4ghz and 1 x5 ghz for 866mbps and 1733mbps for 2nd Ghz

My question here is will the 2nd 5ghz port will be used only for wirless backhaul purpose or will it be used to connect any wifi devices ?

what if i have 4 devicesd which are utilizing 200 Mbps speed and what will happen if 5th device is connected ?. will it be getting slow speeds ?

how will this work

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

The 2nd radio on 5Ghz is the wireless back haul. This is why you don't see the higher 5Ghz channels, These are already in use by the 2nd 5Ghz radio. 

"FastLane3™ Technology.
The dedicated WiFi backhaul creates
better 4K HD streaming & gaming,
even as you connect more devices."

Connected devices is based on actual connected data rate, not bandwdith. You can have many devices connected at say 800Mb, this is the actual connection rate between the client device and the Satellite or Router. Not the data flow rate between them. Think of it as a big 4 lane freeway. Alows for more cars to travel. However it's up to the cars or data on how fast they travel thru the freeway. This varies. The more cars or data on the freeway, depending upon what there dong, can cause some slow down, like 5 oclock traffic jams LOL. Usually good flow is handled well between the router and satellite. Takes a lot to saturate the network. 

Message 2 of 8
rinku2012
Tutor

Thanks for the detailed explanation. i do understand the actual connection speed vs bandwidth

Presently i have R8500 (AC5300) with dual 5ghz band.

when i connect to Orbi and if i am using 200 Mbps data rate on 4 devices , will my 5th device speed will be decreased ?

the question i am asking is bcoz i have about 30 plus devices in my home. and sometimes data transfer will be huge between devices

i want to know  how will orbi handle it

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to test it out and see how it goes. Having many devices on one wireless AP can see some degradation of performances. Ideal configuration would be to spread out your many devices and have them connect to more than one wireless AP. 

I presume having that many, you may see some, just depends on whats going on with each device at the time. Something you'll have to test. Not all environments and configurations are the same. 

Message 4 of 8
timch
Luminary

The answer to your question will always be, it depends what the devices are doing but if it helps I have over 30 devices connected and stream 4K video plus a large Sonos system and my Orbi network copes easily. When I am streaming 4K from one of my satellites, I can still max out the bandwidth on my iPhone so it’s pretty good.
Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know what you experience and find out for your network. 

@rinku2012 wrote:

Thanks for the detailed explanation. i do understand the actual connection speed vs bandwidth

Presently i have R8500 (AC5300) with dual 5ghz band.

when i connect to Orbi and if i am using 200 Mbps data rate on 4 devices , will my 5th device speed will be decreased ?

the question i am asking is bcoz i have about 30 plus devices in my home. and sometimes data transfer will be huge between devices

i want to know  how will orbi handle it

Message 6 of 8
rinku2012
Tutor

Thanks for all your help and support. i will let u know my experinece once i setup the orbi

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements