Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Question on RBR50 WiFi

Josser
Tutor

Question on RBR50 WiFi

I just hooked my RBR53 system up with the 2 Satellites. Is there a reason why the 2.4 is stronger the the 5g?  It is on all my devices. I would have thought the 5 would be higher, Thanks for your reply Jerry

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
Josser
Tutor

Problem solved!. When I had my old routher 2.4 and 5g both came up as networks. Now with Netgear only 1 name comes up and it routes the device to the stronger connection. I did not know this. Must have been hooked up to an old 5g that wasn't working well this morning.. Thanks for all the help, Jerry

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

You can reduce the power output of the 2.4Ghz radio if needed. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Do any of your devices connect to the 5Ghz radio SSID? 

Are you using a custom SSID name or the default one? 

Message 2 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@Josser wrote:

I just hooked my RBR53 system up with the 2 Satellites. Is there a reason why the 2.4 is stronger the the 5g?  It is on all my devices. I would have thought the 5 would be higher, Thanks for your reply Jerry

5G WiFi signals attenuate more with distance than 2.4G and do not penetrate materials as well as 2.4G.  The maximum WiFi power level is set by each country.  In the US, it appears that both 2.4G and 5G WiFi have a maximum power level of 1 watt.

https://www.air802.com/fcc-rules-and-regulations.html 

Message 3 of 10
Josser
Tutor

E
@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

You can reduce the power output of the 2.4Ghz radio if needed. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Do any of your devices connect to the 5Ghz radio SSID? 

Are you using a custom SSID name or the default one? 

Noticed 5g network is not showing now?

Modem Model # is  Calix  model 716ge-1

Distance is a little more than 30 ft  on satellites but hooked up well

All connect to the 5g just not as strong a signal but 5g is not showing now and I am right next to the router?  Have not tried your other methods yet

Message 4 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Try this, reduce the power on the 2.4ghz radio to 25% then walk around and see what your devices do. 

Possible you may have a bad unit out of the box possibly. 

What is your home materials made up of? 

Message 5 of 10
Josser
Tutor

House is just board walls on the inside, concrete and wood on the outside.  How do you decrease the 2.4ghz radio
@FURRYe38 wrote:

Try this, reduce the power on the 2.4ghz radio to 25% then walk around and see what your devices do. 

Possible you may have a bad unit out of the box possibly. 

What is your home materials made up of? 

Message 6 of 10
Josser
Tutor

I think I am just going to contact Netgear support on this one to see what they say. 

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes with NG support. 

Inside should be ok for signal travel. Concrete outside walls should be impact accept you won't get much signal outside of these walls. 

Message 8 of 10
Josser
Tutor

Problem solved!. When I had my old routher 2.4 and 5g both came up as networks. Now with Netgear only 1 name comes up and it routes the device to the stronger connection. I did not know this. Must have been hooked up to an old 5g that wasn't working well this morning.. Thanks for all the help, Jerry

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, Orbi uses a signal SSID name for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz radios. It will help dual band devices get connected to either frequency, however it's up to the connecting device to pick which frequency. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7