Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Questions about Port Forwarding

rayhanania
Aspirant

Questions about Port Forwarding

I have an RBR40 Router and use a MediaCom Internet Modem ...

I have been trying to setup port forwarding and have followed all the instructions, but everytime I set portforwarding on the Robi Router (Advance > Advanced Setup > PortForwarding/Port Triggering) to port 7000, the port never opens ... it saves but when I test it using an online CanYouSeeMe port etc, it always says it is closed

Is there something else that I have to do to the Orbi System to Open the Port and get it to work?

If there is, Netgear should include that in their systems ...

THANK YOU

RAY HANANIA

PS ... my orbi system shutdown recently and stopped working when I tried to do a firmware upgrade ... I had to reset the entire Orbi system and start from scratch, got a new static external IP address and now it works ... but maybe Netgear should figure out a better wqay to instal firmware updates ...

PLUS ... there is no listing for RBR40 routers ... I had to list RBR50 on this post

Thanks

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
Mikey94025
Hero

Re: Questions about Port Forwarding

@rayhanania wrote:

I have been trying to setup port forwarding and have followed all the instructions, but everytime I set portforwarding on the Robi Router (Advance > Advanced Setup > PortForwarding/Port Triggering) to port 7000, the port never opens ... it saves but when I test it using an online CanYouSeeMe port etc, it always says it is closed

What are you trying to open the port to, e.g., to a Windows laptop or an Xbox?  It's possible that the device being forwarded to has its own firewall settings that also need to be adjusted.

Another possibility is if your cable modem also needs ports to be opened.  Is your Orbi running in Router mode or Access Point (AP) mode?  If your cable modem isn't in Bridge mode (not the default), then you have Double NAT and also need to open ports in your cable modem to your Orbi.

Message 2 of 8
rayhanania
Aspirant

Thank you ... I'm opening the port for a security camera DVR which

@Mikey94025 wrote:

@rayhanania wrote:

What are you trying to open the port to, e.g., to a Windows laptop or an Xbox?  It's possible that the device being forwarded to has its own firewall settings that also need to be adjusted.

Another possibility is if your cable modem also needs ports to be opened.  Is your Orbi running in Router mode or Access Point (AP) mode?  If your cable modem isn't in Bridge mode (not the default), then you have Double NAT and also need to open ports in your cable modem to your Orbi.

is accessible on site but not remotely ...  (not XBox or any game systems.)

I'll double check this:

• "Another possibility is if your cable modem also needs ports to be opened.  Is your Orbi running in Router mode or Access Point (AP) mode?  If your cable modem isn't in Bridge mode (not the default), then you have Double NAT and also need to open ports in your cable modem to your Orbi."
Message 3 of 8
Mikey94025
Hero

@rayhanania wrote:

I'll double check this:

• "Another possibility is if your cable modem also needs ports to be opened.  Is your Orbi running in Router mode or Access Point (AP) mode?  If your cable modem isn't in Bridge mode (not the default), then you have Double NAT and also need to open ports in your cable modem to your Orbi."

One simple way to tell if you have Double NAT is to check if the Orbi's WAN IP address (displayed as Orbi's Advanced... Internet Port... IP Address) is not the same as what https://canyouseeme.org/ says is "Your IP".  If they are not the same, then your cable modem is probably between the outside and your Orbi.  Therefore you must also forward the same port via your cable modem from the outside to your Orbi, then your Orbi can also port forward again to your internal network host.

If your cable modem is instead in bridge mode, then your Orbi's WAN IP address will be the same as what https://canyouseeme.org/ says.  In that case just setting up your Orbi's port forwarding should do the trick.

Message 4 of 8
rayhanania
Aspirant

I switched to AP Mode and the whole Orbi system crashed ... I think I would have to go to my internet service provider FIRST and then have them reset the settings ... if you switch to AP mode using Orbi alone it crashes the system and it has to be reset from scratch, starting over.

Honestly, Orbi's are more of a hassle than I expected ... they are designed to work for themselves not with other systems

Message 5 of 8
Mikey94025
Hero

I assume you mean that you lost internet connectivity by "the system crashed".  Your Orbi, or any router, must be configured to match your internet modem settings.  If your modem is in bridge mode then you cannot set your Orbi to AP mode because those two settings are incompatible.  If you aren't familiar with bridge mode and how to configure your modem then I don't recommend you try that first.

Instead, leave your Orbi in Router mode and figure out how to port forward using your cable modem's admin website first and just live with Double NAT.  You can access your cable modem's admin website by typing in what the Orbi shows as its Internet Port's IP address into a web browser on one of your LAN devices.  That will show you the cable modem's admin website and if you know the admin password, you can also setup port forwarding rules there.

If you aren't familiar with this, then you can ask for help from your ISP.  Most Orbi customers just plug-and-play and this works, as long as you don't need more complicated config like port forwarding (when there is Double NAT).

Message 6 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

I agree completely that there has to be at least one router, either the ISP modem has to also be a router, or the Orbi has to be a router.

Your advice is spot on.  Here's an interesting description:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/networking/fixing_double_nat.htm 

Message 7 of 8

@rayhanania wrote:

Scanning through this discussion, I see no indication of what this modem might be, the model number.

Without that information, we are left to speculate on what might be going wrong.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7