Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Questions/feedback about the Orbi, just moved from eero...

Uplink01
Star

Questions/feedback about the Orbi, just moved from eero...

Hi,

New Orbi customer here. I just setup my Orbi today, updated the firmware on both devices 1.4.x. That seemed to be a bit of a manual process, but looking at some other threads, it looks like the firmware update bugs have been fixed once you get everything to 1.4.x or even 1.3.x?

Either way, eero just wasn't powerful enough to handle 350mbit internet in every room, with almost 40+ devices connected at any given time, even after adding 5 units. Most eero (leafs) had speed issues due to main > hop > hop connection, basically giving me 50-100mbit max per room. Having one Orbi setup gives me full coverage without even needing a second satelite! (I might still buy one just for more coverage in the future) anyway, as the backhall idea seems to be working great! .. Soo to my questions: 

- Is netgear going to release a new iOS app? The current one is really bad, when you look at the UI design from eero. It feels like you are using a 1998 application?? 😞
- Do the Orbi's actually move your devices from the router to the satelite and back depdning on how close or far away you are from different units? Or do you need to disconnect/reconnect in order to be moved from one unit to the other?
- In the Orbi web GUI, if I hit "reboot" does that reboot both the main and satelite? Or just the main unit? 

- It is great they added the OOKLA speedtest, but you can't see what server it is actually testing against? In my area I get very different speeds by just seleting different servers in the same city... Or am I missing that?

- How do you tell in the device list if a device is conencted to the main, or the satelite? It just gives you a big list of devices, and I don't want to have to go to each device just to see what BSSID it is connected to if I needed to troubleshoot something. 

Any help would be great! 

Message 1 of 2

Re: Questions/feedback about the Orbi, just moved from eero...

hi

yes

1. i believe the app is  coming

2. yes the orbi has both ap and band steering which assists in roaming between the router and sat but its not prefect as some client devices are whats called sticky and will struggle to let go of one transmission to move to the other but the steering helps with most devices

3. i think the sta/s just resync and dont reboot as such

4. yes it is lacking selection to the speed test servers , the whole speed test thing is quite new and its worth making a suggestion on how you would like it improved

5. you can access each sat/s gui by their ip address and see the attached list for the sat/s , from that you can work out whats then connected to the router

pete

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7