Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Quick way to re-enter your IP reservations after factory reset

ekhalil
Master

Quick way to re-enter your IP reservations after factory reset

Many of us hesitate much to go for factory reset mainly because of the load of repetitive work you need to do to restore your IP reservations especially if you have many such reservations.

An easier way that I found to restore the IP reservations is by printing them using telnet, modify the printouts into config commands and then copy and paste the config commands in telnet which takes much less time than manually entering them using the GUI.

Here is what I do:

1. Use telnet to print the following command:

nvram show | grep reservation[0-999]

This will give you a printout like:

reservation39=192.168.1.193 C8:02:10:62:C7:55 LG Music Flow Balcony

reservation20=192.168.1.76 C8:69:CD:58:26:F4 ATV Living Room Wifi

reservation21=192.168.1.77 AC:CA:54:01:CA:25 Telldus Controller

reservation22=192.168.1.80 00:0b:e6:0b:c8:06 Wii

reservation23=192.168.1.81 54:88:0E:12:6E:7E Samsung Blu Ray Wireless

reservation24=192.168.1.83 B4:07:F9:3F:87:62 Samsung TV

reservation25=192.168.1.82 10:08:C1:CD:94:74 LG Smart TV

reservation26=192.168.1.85 80:C2:1D:15:83:B7 Chromecast Living Room

reservation27=192.168.1.86 20:CF:B9:5C:B1:0C Google Home Guest Room

reservation28=192.168.1.87 44:07:0B:B0:CF:A6 Google Home Kitchen

reservation29=192.168.1.88 20:CF:B9:8E:0C:17 Google Home Living Room

2. Convert each line above as follows (you can use an editor to find and replace):

config set reservation39="192.168.1.193 C8:02:10:62:C7:55 LG Music Flow Balcony"

config set reservation20="192.168.1.76 C8:69:CD:58:26:F4 ATV Living Room Wifi"

config set reservation21="192.168.1.77 AC:CA:54:01:CA:25 Telldus Controller"

config set reservation22="192.168.1.80 00:0b:e6:0b:c8:06 Wii"

config set reservation23="192.168.1.81 54:88:0E:12:6E:7E Samsung Blu Ray Wireless"

config set reservation24="192.168.1.83 B4:07:F9:3F:87:62 Samsung TV"

config set reservation25="192.168.1.82 10:08:C1:CD:94:74 LG Smart TV"

config set reservation26="192.168.1.85 80:C2:1D:15:83:B7 Chromecast Living Room"

config set reservation27="192.168.1.86 20:CF:B9:5C:B1:0C Google Home Guest Room"

config set reservation28="192.168.1.87 44:07:0B:B0:CF:A6 Google Home Kitchen"

config set reservation29="192.168.1.88 20:CF:B9:8E:0C:17 Google Home Living Room"

Don't forget the quotations after the = signs and at the end of the lines. Make sure that your text editor will not suppress the return after each line

3. Copy and paste the config commands to the telnet prompt, and you are done!

If you go to your GUI under >>ADVANCED>>Setup>>LAN Setup>> you will find all your reservations listed, you just need to click Apply to make them in use.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 22

Accepted Solutions
ekhalil
Master

@CrimpOn wrote:

.........  I am not confident that "saving configuration" would be of much use in my situation, because the ways that my Orbi is disappointing me have appeared since an automatic firmware upgrade and I have continued to enter new device reservations.  At this point, I suspect that "something is amiss" that only a reset to factory would address, and I have avoided doing that because of the prospect of typing in all those MAC addresses.

Completely agree. usually why I choose to do a factory reset is that I suspect a data corruption somewere and a backup/restore will just get me back to where I was.

@CrimpOn wrote:

In addition to device reservations, the NVRAM dump also includes lines like this:

orbi_dev_name12=24:92:0E:31:52:FA Dicks New Tablet

The numbers do not match the "reservation" numbers.  Any idea if this is something that could be entered with Telnet commands, or will it propogate automatically?

The entry orbi_dev_name12=24:92:0E:31:52:FA Dicks New Tablet is the "Device Name" that you can edit in the "Attached Devices" list below (in the blue box):

Namnlöst.png

You will also find another entry with the same MAC address like this 

orbi_dev_name_ntgr9=24:92:0E:31:52:FA Samsung Tablet that corresponds to the device type (the red box) in the snapshot above.

The numbers do not match. The system uses only the MAC address to match the different entries with each other.

@CrimpOn wrote:

And.... I presume that changing the device reservations to be in order by IP address would not cause a problem, since the "factory reset" creates a totally empty table.  (This is one of my other disappointments with Orbi firmware: that we cannot sort displays by column.  This would not help the "attached devices" display, but it would at least cause the reservation table to be in IP order for a little while.

Yes, you can edit the commands as you wish, everything should have been wiped after a factory reset. You can also use the telnet commands to change an existing setting, so if you enter the config command for the same variable twice like this:

config set reservation3="192.168.1.20 A0:99:9B:0B:3F:5B Dicks Macbook"

config set reservation3="192.168.1.20 A0:99:9B:0B:3F:5B The new Macbook"

Then the second command will override the first one.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 22

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Another way to save settings and reservations on a router would be to do a back up of the configruation to file soon after getting the router fully setup. Save this file for safe keeping later on. Re-apply after doing a factory reset. Saves time. Easier for the less advanced user. 

Message 2 of 22
CrimpOn
Guru

Interesting idea about using Telnet to enter configurations.  I am not confident that "saving configuration" would be of much use in my situation, because the ways that my Orbi is disappointing me have appeared since an automatic firmware upgrade and I have continued to enter new device reservations.  At this point, I suspect that "something is amiss" that only a reset to factory would address, and I have avoided doing that because of the prospect of typing in all those MAC addresses.

In addition to device reservations, the NVRAM dump also includes lines like this:

The numbers do not match the "reservation" numbers.  Any idea if this is something that could be entered with Telnet commands, or will it propogate automatically?

And.... I presume that changing the device reservations to be in order by IP address would not cause a problem, since the "factory reset" creates a totally empty table.  (This is one of my other disappointments with Orbi firmware: that we cannot sort displays by column.  This would not help the "attached devices" display, but it would at least cause the reservation table to be in IP order for a little while.

Message 3 of 22
randomousity
Luminary

Sort of reminds me how you can save/restore configurations to Cisco switches and routers, except that was even easier than this. Just have it show the config, copy/paste to a text file, and then paste back in later to restore. Didn't even have to modifty the output at all before using it as an input.

Message 4 of 22
CrimpOn
Guru

I agree completely. Saving to a text or XML file makes analysis a lot more convenient than this binary dump from the Orbi.  My hex editor doesn't even find any text strings in the CFG file.

Message 5 of 22
ekhalil
Master

@CrimpOn wrote:

.........  I am not confident that "saving configuration" would be of much use in my situation, because the ways that my Orbi is disappointing me have appeared since an automatic firmware upgrade and I have continued to enter new device reservations.  At this point, I suspect that "something is amiss" that only a reset to factory would address, and I have avoided doing that because of the prospect of typing in all those MAC addresses.

Completely agree. usually why I choose to do a factory reset is that I suspect a data corruption somewere and a backup/restore will just get me back to where I was.

@CrimpOn wrote:

The entry orbi_dev_name12=24:92:0E:31:52:FA Dicks New Tablet is the "Device Name" that you can edit in the "Attached Devices" list below (in the blue box):

Namnlöst.png

You will also find another entry with the same MAC address like this 

orbi_dev_name_ntgr9=24:92:0E:31:52:FA Samsung Tablet that corresponds to the device type (the red box) in the snapshot above.

The numbers do not match. The system uses only the MAC address to match the different entries with each other.

@CrimpOn wrote:

Yes, you can edit the commands as you wish, everything should have been wiped after a factory reset. You can also use the telnet commands to change an existing setting, so if you enter the config command for the same variable twice like this:

config set reservation3="192.168.1.20 A0:99:9B:0B:3F:5B Dicks Macbook"

config set reservation3="192.168.1.20 A0:99:9B:0B:3F:5B The new Macbook"

Then the second command will override the first one.

Message 6 of 22
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for the confirmation.  This is what I'll do.

Have you tried setting the orbi_dev_namexx and orbi_dev_name_ntgrxx entries through Telnet?(I'm not confident where I would click "apply" to have them take effect.)

Message 7 of 22
ekhalil
Master

@CrimpOn wrote:

Have you tried setting the orbi_dev_namexx and orbi_dev_name_ntgrxx entries through Telnet?(I'm not confident where I would click "apply" to have them take effect.)

Yes, I tried that, changing the device name by changing orbi_dev_namexx and orbi_dev_name_ntgrxx entries through Telnet does not need any apply. Once you send the config commands you will see the changes on the "Attached Devices" 

Message 8 of 22
ekhalil
Master

Please note that there is another parameter in orbi_dev_name_ntgrxx parameter (orbi_dev_name_ntgrxx=24:92:0E:31:52:FA 14 Samsung Tablet) containing information about the device type as you can see in the following post:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Is-MAC-address-data-lost-when-clearing-NVRAM/m-p/1686261/highl...

Message 9 of 22
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for pointing that out.  That's the index into the drop down menu of device types that (although an interesting concept) is worefully out of date.  No entry for "Smart Plug", "Light Bulb", "Appliance" (like Microwave), Thermostat, etc.

Still gathering enthusiasm for a reset.  I did a restart yesterday, and now my log file is reporting DHCP assignments again. Still no DoS and Port Scan reports.

Message 10 of 22
CrimpOn
Guru

Well, this is more of a challenge than I expected.

My "plan" was to have the reservations in order by IP address and matching the IP address, but I have left gaps in the IP range for future devices.  (IP cameras start at 51, for example).  Can there be gaps in the reservation table?  Hmmm.  My guess is "not".  I have 26 devices in "reservations", but only 20 in "ntgr"

That "ntgr" looks like it is not tied to the drop down menu, but somehow keyed to the MAC manufacturer.  I wonder if that will fill in automatically?

The device "name" table contains every device I have ever given a name to, even if I got rid of it months ago.  If they truly get a new IP from DHCP every time they show up, the name follows them around.

Message 11 of 22
ekhalil
Master

@CrimpOn wrote:

......  Can there be gaps in the reservation table?  Hmmm.  My guess is "not".  I have 26 devices in "reservations", but only 20 in "ntgr"

No, I tried that and Orbi will ignore any variables that are not in serial, so you should have reservation1, reservation2, reservation3, reservation4, reservation5 then you can't have reservation7 without having reservation6

@CrimpOn wrote:

That "ntgr" looks like it is not tied to the drop down menu, but somehow keyed to the MAC manufacturer.  I wonder if that will fill in automatically?

When you attach a device a random device type will be given by Orbi to the device. But if you have another device in your database with the same manufacturer as a new device that you attach (MAC address starts with the same digits) then Orbi will assume it's the same device type and will give it that device type.

In fact, there is also another list device_list1, device_list2, device_list3, ..... for OLD devices that you once changed the model or changed device type for that Orbi will also remember and use this database when setting the device types and model when attaching a new device to Orbi.

@CrimpOn wrote:

The device "name" table contains every device I have ever given a name to, even if I got rid of it months ago.  If they truly get a new IP from DHCP every time they show up, the name follows them around.

Exactly, once you give a device a name, model and type it will follow it once this device attaches to the system again. If you had a guest and assigned a name, model and a type to his/her device then Orbi will remember that when the guest comes back to visit you one year later when you check the "attached devices" menu.

Message 12 of 22
CrimpOn
Guru

"device_list1" etc. does not appear in NVRAM show.  Is it a table I can set with Telnet?

Message 13 of 22
ekhalil
Master

@CrimpOn wrote:

"device_list1" etc. does not appear in NVRAM show.  Is it a table I can set with Telnet?

Yes, use the following command:

root@RBR50:/# nvram show | grep device_list

If you never changed a device type or model under the Attached Devices in the GUI this table will be empty.

This list is only on the router and not on the satellite, if you're trying on the satellite!!

Message 14 of 22
Chuck_M
Mentor

My "plan" was to have the reservations in order by IP address and matching the IP address, but I have left gaps in the IP range for future devices.  (IP cameras start at 51, for example).  Can there be gaps in the reservation table?  Hmmm.  My guess is "not".  I have 26 devices in "reservations", but only 20 in "ntgr"

I did exactly that and it works fine.

IMy RBR50 is at .192.168.1.1 and by two RBS50s are at .5 & .6 using reserved IPs.

DHCP is set to start issuing at 192.168.1.20 and higher

I reserve "bands" of IPs for categories of devices (sonos, cameras, etc) that have significant gaps between unused entries and all works very well with no hiccups.

Message 15 of 22
ekhalil
Master

@Chuck_M wrote:

My "plan" was to have the reservations in order by IP address and matching the IP address, but I have left gaps in the IP range for future devices.  (IP cameras start at 51, for example).  Can there be gaps in the reservation table?  Hmmm.  My guess is "not".  I have 26 devices in "reservations", but only 20 in "ntgr"

I did exactly that and it works fine.

IMy RBR50 is at .192.168.1.1 and by two RBS50s are at .5 & .6 using reserved IPs.

DHCP is set to start issuing at 192.168.1.20 and higher

I reserve "bands" of IPs for categories of devices (sonos, cameras, etc) that have significant gaps between unused entries and all works very well with no hiccups.

Right @Chuck_M. of course this is possible. The question from @CrimpOn was if we can also use the same "bands" and skipping of numbers to the variables reservation1, reservation2,... for which the answer was no. 🙂

Message 16 of 22
Chuck_M
Mentor

My bad, I guess I didnt read that close enuf!!

Message 17 of 22
CrimpOn
Guru

I am embarrased to display even more ignorance, but here goes:

Now that I have created telnet commands to define my device registrations, device names, and device "integers", I'd like to confirm the correct sequence of this adventure to avoid massive confusion.  e.g. I would rather not have to go around and unplug/turn off 30 WiFi devices around the house.  I also want to take the opportunity to give a few devices different IP addresses than before.  (Should I change the IP's before and give devices time to "learn" them before the reset?)

Disconnect hardwired connections to the router except for one PC (so they won't connect "too soon")

While it is powered on, stick a paperclip in the router until the LED turns amber

Do the same thing to the satellite - (is it OK to wait until later to do this?)

Using an ethernet connected PC, connect to the router ("admin", "password")

Do NOT create an SSID/password or router admin password

Go to the debug page and turn on telnet

Telnet to the router and use the commands to set the device reservations, names, ntgr's

Go to Advanced->Setup->LAN Setup and click "Apply" so the reservations will commit

(during this process, no WiFi devices will attach because they cannot find the SSID they want)

Go to the Wireless Setup page and set the SSID / password

Reconnect ethernet cables to the router

WiFi devices will begin connecting.  Some will get the same DHCP they always had, some may get new IP addresses

Sync the router and satellite

Save the configuration file which can be reloaded in the future

I appreciate your patience.  Any advice would be great.

Message 18 of 22
ekhalil
Master

@CrimpOn wrote:

..........  I also want to take the opportunity to give a few devices different IP addresses than before.  (Should I change the IP's before and give devices time to "learn" them before the reset?)

You don't need to change the IP's before, once you change the reservation, if you don't power cycle the device, then Orbi will not respond to the requests from the device (with the old IP address) which will force the device to renew it's DHCP lease and thus get the new IP address.

@CrimpOn wrote:

Disconnect hardwired connections to the router except for one PC (so they won't connect "too soon")

While it is powered on, stick a paperclip in the router until the LED turns amber

Do the same thing to the satellite - (is it OK to wait until later to do this?)

Using an ethernet connected PC, connect to the router ("admin", "password")

Do NOT create an SSID/password or router admin password

Go to the debug page and turn on telnet

Telnet to the router and use the commands to set the device reservations, names, ntgr's

Go to Advanced->Setup->LAN Setup and click "Apply" so the reservations will commit

(during this process, no WiFi devices will attach because they cannot find the SSID they want)

Go to the Wireless Setup page and set the SSID / password

Reconnect ethernet cables to the router

WiFi devices will begin connecting.  Some will get the same DHCP they always had, some may get new IP addresses

Sync the router and satellite

Save the configuration file which can be reloaded in the future

That looks like a perfect, well studied sequence to get a smooth factory reset. Go for it! 🙂

Message 19 of 22
ekhalil
Master

@CrimpOn I’m looking forward to hearing from you how the factory reset went! 😉

Message 20 of 22
CrimpOn
Guru

I am happy to report that "reset to factory" has fixed my Orbi RBR50 in terms of logging.  The log now contains everything I asked for.  i.e.

• Admin logins
  • NTP (network time)
  • DHCP assignments
  • DoS and Port Scan
  • Attempts to access blocked web sites (I turned that off because it also reports EVERY web site - stupid, stupid, stupid)

Thanks to ekhali for showing me how to do this with a minimum of effort.  I will be interested how long my Orbi keeps logging as I want.  At least, "it worked for me this time."

Orbi Log.JPG

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 21 of 22
ekhalil
Master

Thanks for the update @CrimpOn.

Glad that this helped and that you have your Logs working again.

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7