Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 Nighthawk and ORBI AC220 not playing well together

HoddlesClan
Aspirant

R7000 Nighthawk and ORBI AC220 not playing well together

Howdy Folks Purchased an ORBI for better WiFi coverage and Parental control, compatibility told me that it would work better with a Netgear Router, so I bought a Nighthawk R7000, my issues are around it all working together in some sort of SYNC, the ORBI wont let me visit some pages, the Nighthawk says it cant connect to the ORBI, I'm quite frustrated, I thought I'd try the community before I sign up to Netgear Gearhead support. help?!
Message 1 of 9
ekhalil
Master

I think that you have double NAT issue.

Please make sure the Nighthauk is set in Bridged mode.

Page 114 in the R7000 manual describes how you can do this.

You should be fine after you bridge the R7000.

Good luck

Message 2 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Built in router here by chance? 

@HoddlesClan wrote:
Howdy Folks Purchased an ORBI for better WiFi coverage and Parental control, compatibility told me that it would work better with a Netgear Router, so I bought a Nighthawk R7000, my issues are around it all working together in some sort of SYNC, the ORBI wont let me visit some pages, the Nighthawk says it cant connect to the ORBI, I'm quite frustrated, I thought I'd try the community before I sign up to Netgear Gearhead support. help?!

Message 3 of 9
HoddlesClan
Aspirant

Really apreciate the responses, thanks so much, but I really think ive made poor choice in netgear products, everything is clunky and not user friendly at all, have tried to run through whats suggested, but keep coming up against issues everytime I try something else, currently stalled because the router is asking me for my serial number, and the ok box stays grey and cant be selected, I cant change the settings because it wont let me access it, even after shutting the router down and resetting it, this is quite frustrating

Message 4 of 9
HoddlesClan
Aspirant

Have updated to current firmware, the router its connected to is a service providers router, technicolor TG799vac, i dont have any connection issue related to this router, the issue is with the ORBI blocking access to some pages, simple browsing, if i use the

Nighthawk alone, i dont have an issue, once i connect throught ORBI the issue with browsing happens

Message 5 of 9
ekhalil
Master

@HoddlesClan wrote:

Have updated to current firmware, the router its connected to is a service providers router, technicolor TG799vac, i dont have any connection issue related to this router, the issue is with the ORBI blocking access to some pages, simple browsing, if i use the

Nighthawk alone, i dont have an issue, once i connect throught ORBI the issue with browsing happens

So your setup is as follows:

(Technicolor TG799VAC) ------> (Nighthawk 7000) ------> (Orbi)

I think that you have 3 routers in your network (if Orbi is also in Router Mode), this will for sure give you issues:

- For what purpose are you using the Nighthawk?

- The Technicolor TG799VAC is also a wireless router, do you use it for phone service? Which port is connected to your ISP: The DSL (grey port) or the WAN (red port)? 

Message 6 of 9
HoddlesClan
Aspirant

Correct

The TG799 is what I bring my internet off the wall(so to speak), i dont have a LAN type plug on the wall for my internet connection, the TG799 is set up, on Netgears instruction, as as "conduit" if you like, so the settings for the TG799 are duplicated into the Nighthawk, then all my devices gain access from the Nighthawk, I purchsed the Nighthawk because I was under the impression that the User/Parental control was better with all Netgear equipment, ie the Genie control centre, when my ORBI searches for the internet connection, it says I dont have a Netgear compatible router.......you see why I'm banging my head here

The TG router has the phone line in, and then everything out of that is from the Yellow plugs, the line into the R7000 goes into the plug marked internet, and lines out of that are just 1.2.3 or 4, im not using a red plug anywhere, should I be?

Message 7 of 9

@HoddlesClan wrote:

Correct

The TG799 is what I bring my internet off the wall(so to speak), i dont have a LAN type plug on the wall for my internet connection, the TG799 is set up, on Netgears instruction, as as "conduit" if you like, so the settings for the TG799 are duplicated into the Nighthawk...

To add to what others have said, multiple routers on one network is an invitation to disaster.

I chip in simply to say that the above description needs clarifying.

What is this "conduit". It isn't a technical term that I have seen here before.

To get the TG799 to play nicely with the R7000 you need to put the TG799 into bridge (modem only) mode.

You can find advice on how to do that here:

technicolor tg799vac bridge mode - Google Search

When you have done that, the next challenge is to connect the R7000 to the Internet. As you have already been playing around with this you might do well to factory reset it. Then go through the setup regime described in the QuickStart guide. Find it here:

>>> R7000P | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

You might even get the "wizard" to do it for you.

It is important to do things in the right order, especially when it comes to turning things on.

When you have done that and got the TG799 and  R7000 to play nicely together, you should put the Orbi into access point mode.

I find it easier to do that with the Orbi disconnected from the network. Plug it into a PC, also not connected to the network, and go through the setup process laid out in the Orbi manual.

There is support for the Orbi WiFi System, including a manual, somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> Orbi RBK50 | WiFi System | NETGEAR Support <<<<

You said earlier:

I really think ive made poor choice in netgear products, everything is clunky and not user friendly at all, have tried to run through whats suggested, but keep coming up against issues everytime I try something else

The clunkiness and constant problems are because you are trying to jam three "incompatible" devices on to your network. You would have had the same difficulty if you had bought any brand you can name.

Three routers = chaos regardless of the labels on the boxes.

Whoever advised you to go down that round needs chastising.

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

THe system should look like this:

ISP modem(bridged if possible) > Orib (In router mode.)

If the ISP modem can't be bridged, then disable the wifi ON the modem and try this:

ISP modem (router mode and ALL wifi disabled) > Orbi (Configured for AP mode). 

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@HoddlesClan wrote:

Correct

The TG799 is what I bring my internet off the wall(so to speak), i dont have a LAN type plug on the wall for my internet connection, the TG799 is set up, on Netgears instruction, as as "conduit" if you like, so the settings for the TG799 are duplicated into the Nighthawk, then all my devices gain access from the Nighthawk, I purchsed the Nighthawk because I was under the impression that the User/Parental control was better with all Netgear equipment, ie the Genie control centre, when my ORBI searches for the internet connection, it says I dont have a Netgear compatible router.......you see why I'm banging my head here

The TG router has the phone line in, and then everything out of that is from the Yellow plugs, the line into the R7000 goes into the plug marked internet, and lines out of that are just 1.2.3 or 4, im not using a red plug anywhere, should I be?

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7