Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 and Orbi

phy6bjh
Aspirant

R7000 and Orbi

Dear All

I have a Nighthawk R7000 and I would like to connect a new mesh system to it.  I was thinking of an Orbi system and have seen a few suggestions about how to do it.  I would like to continue using the wifi on the R7000 and also use the wifi on the Orbi running it in AP mode.  Can I do this and can I connect the Orbi base to the R7000 by wifi or do I need to use an ethernet connection.  Thanks

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: R7000 and Orbi

@phy6bjh wrote:

I have a Nighthawk R7000 and I would like to connect a new mesh system to it.  I was thinking of an Orbi system and have seen a few suggestions about how to do it.  I would like to continue using the wifi on the R7000 and also use the wifi on the Orbi running it in AP mode.  Can I do this and can I connect the Orbi base to the R7000 by wifi or do I need to use an ethernet connection.  Thanks

Orbi routers MUST be connected using an ethernet cable.

Yes, you can do this, but it not what most people would do.  The common practice is to replace the R7000 with the Orbi router and set up the Orbi with exactly the same WiFi name (SSID) and password as the R7000

• All WiFi devices will immediately connect to the Orbi without needing to be reconfigured.
  • If for any reason you want to "go back", just unplug the Orbi and plug the R7000 back in. All devices will immediately connect to the R7000.

Even if the Orbi is in AP mode, the Orbi WiFi and R7000 WiFi will be entirely separate WiFi networks (even if they have the same SSID/password).  Devices will not "roam" from one to the other smoothly as they do between Orbi units. Because the Orbi will cover more area than the R7000, the R7000 WiFi coverage will be entirely overlaid by the Orbi coverage.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@phy6bjh wrote:

Orbi routers MUST be connected using an ethernet cable.

Yes, you can do this, but it not what most people would do.  The common practice is to replace the R7000 with the Orbi router and set up the Orbi with exactly the same WiFi name (SSID) and password as the R7000

• All WiFi devices will immediately connect to the Orbi without needing to be reconfigured.
  • If for any reason you want to "go back", just unplug the Orbi and plug the R7000 back in. All devices will immediately connect to the R7000.

Even if the Orbi is in AP mode, the Orbi WiFi and R7000 WiFi will be entirely separate WiFi networks (even if they have the same SSID/password).  Devices will not "roam" from one to the other smoothly as they do between Orbi units. Because the Orbi will cover more area than the R7000, the R7000 WiFi coverage will be entirely overlaid by the Orbi coverage.

Message 2 of 4
phy6bjh
Aspirant

thanks, that's very helpful.  I was trying to keep the R7000 running as it has never let me down. It would be nice to convert it to a mesh but it seems that the orbi is the best netgear system and it also seems to make the R7000 redundant, I'm against getting rid of perfectly good technology.  cheers

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Keep the R7000 has your main host router, disable the wifi radios on the R7000 and configure the Orbi system for AP mode.That way you could keep the R7000 up and running. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7