Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000p router with Orbi 4200

Tombomb101
Aspirant

R7000p router with Orbi 4200

Two story house with fiber coming in through basement. Hoping to use the following setup:
Basement: modem to r7000p (WiFi off) wired to
First floor: Orbi 4200 base (set up as AP)
First/second floor: 2 Orbi satellites (wireless)

First, wanted to confirm that this sounds right. I could just use Orbi base as router in basement if it’s unfinished so figure to use in living area.

Second, Sounds like I should take advantage of wired backhaul. That would be between 1 or more orbis satellites and base (setup as AP). Of I don’t have that type of Ethernet wiring can I still take advantage of mesh like wireless backhaul with 4200 setup with r7000p router?

Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: R7000p router with Orbi 4200

@Tombomb101 wrote:
Two story house with fiber coming in through basement. Hoping to use the following setup:
Basement: modem to r7000p (WiFi off) wired to
First floor: Orbi 4200 base (set up as AP)
First/second floor: 2 Orbi satellites (wireless)

First, wanted to confirm that this sounds right. I could just use Orbi base as router in basement if it’s unfinished so figure to use in living area.

Second, Sounds like I should take advantage of wired backhaul. That would be between 1 or more orbis satellites and base (setup as AP). If I don’t have that type of Ethernet wiring can I still take advantage of mesh like wireless backhaul with 4200 setup with r7000p router?

Yes, this sounds like a good idea.  It is seldom a good idea to place WiFi in the basement (unless the basement has a lot of WiFi devices).

Configuring the Orbi in Access Point mode avoids any "Double NAT" issues.

In general, ethernet backhaul is superior to WiFi backhaul because (a) ethernet is inherently full duplex (both directions at once) and WiFi allows only one device to broadcast at a time, and (b) WiFi has tremendous overhead.

Not having ethernet cables between locations, WiFi backhaul is what you have.  (And, it's very good.)

The R7000 router has nothing to do with the Orbi backhaul. Backhaul is entirely between the Orbi 'router' (in any mode) and the Orbi satellites.

Message 2 of 4
Tombomb101
Aspirant

Thanks for the confirmation. Is the wired backhaul all or nothing? Meaning I need to wire all satellites back to the Orbi base or will it still help if I have 1 satellite wires back to base and the other is wireless?
Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@Tombomb101 wrote:
Thanks for the confirmation. Is the wired backhaul all or nothing? Meaning I need to wire all satellites back to the Orbi base or will it still help if I have 1 satellite wires back to base and the other is wireless?

Any combination is acceptable. Some can be WiFi, others can be ethernet. Another satellite can Daisy Chain off of an existing satellite with either ethernet or WiFi no matter how that first satellite is connected.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7