Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK 40 - 1 of 2 satellites is not connected to main Orbi router

Dway
Aspirant

RBK 40 - 1 of 2 satellites is not connected to main Orbi router

Hello; I was looking to find an optimal channel setting and when I was reviewing my connected devices, realized that one satellite (#1) is connected to the main Orbi router. The second satellite (#2 in our basement) is connected to the first satellite, not the main router. This does not seem correct. Please advise and if my hunch is accurate, how do I ensure that satellite #2 is connected to the main Orbi router? Thanks in advance, David 

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBK 40 - 1 of 2 satellites is not connected to main Orbi router

@Dway wrote:

one satellite (#1) is connected to the main Orbi router. The second satellite (#2 in our basement) is connected to the first satellite, not the main router. This does not seem correct.

First, what seems "correct" to humans is not often what computers decide on.  My guess is that when the second satellite powered up, it decided the signal from satellite#1 was better than the signal from the router and connected to it.  There is a simple way to prevent satellite#2 from connecting to satellite#1:

On the Orbi web interface, select the Advanced Tab->Advanced Setup->Wireless Settings.  About half way down the web page, uncheck the box "Enable Daisy-Chain Topology".  (I don't know if the router will reboot automatically or not.)  Then, restart each of the satellites.  This setting tells the router that satellite connections are only directly to the router.

Be prepared for satellite#2 to be unhappy about this.  If the "ring light" does not eventually turn BLUE, then the router/satellite connection is not "Good".

Good Luck

Message 2 of 6
Dway
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

@Dway wrote:

one satellite (#1) is connected to the main Orbi router. The second satellite (#2 in our basement) is connected to the first satellite, not the main router. This does not seem correct.

First, what seems "correct" to humans is not often what computers decide on.  My guess is that when the second satellite powered up, it decided the signal from satellite#1 was better than the signal from the router and connected to it.  There is a simple way to prevent satellite#2 from connecting to satellite#1:

On the Orbi web interface, select the Advanced Tab->Advanced Setup->Wireless Settings.  About half way down the web page, uncheck the box "Enable Daisy-Chain Topology".  (I don't know if the router will reboot automatically or not.)  Then, restart each of the satellites.  This setting tells the router that satellite connections are only directly to the router.

Be prepared for satellite#2 to be unhappy about this.  If the "ring light" does not eventually turn BLUE, then the router/satellite connection is not "Good".

Good Luck

Thanks for your reply. Satellite #2 has had its ring light go from purple to blue to unlit and seems to cycle fairly regularly. So, to your           point it may already be unhappy. Is the diabled daisy chain topology the recommended set-up? Thanks again, David

Message 3 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@Dway wrote:

Thanks for your reply. Satellite #2 has had its ring light go from purple to blue to unlit and seems to cycle fairly regularly. So, to your           point it may already be unhappy. Is the diabled daisy chain topology the recommended set-up? Thanks again, David

Once the ring light turns blue for 10 seconds, it should remain off from then on.  Your ring light does not stay off?

My own personal belief (with no documentation to back it up) is that Netgear ships the Orbi router with Daisy Chain "Enabled" for a reason.  A lot of Orbi customers take it home, plug it in, and never look at the management interface.  People who own only smartphone and tablets may only open the "App", which does not access any of the advanced settings.  That way, someone can get another satellite, plug it in, and chances are it will connect and work.  They don't care about topology, just "Can I get to Facebook?"

There are telnet commands which will show the exact status of the "backhaul" links.  (At some point, you may hit a point of "diminishing returns" in terms of poking around the Orbi.)

Message 4 of 6
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

Your satellite #2 may be too far away from the router to get a good backhaul signal, so it bound its backhaul to satellite #1 since it was a stronger signal.  As mentioned, Daisy Chaining is enabled by default so that a network will work if layed out like this:

Router <-> Sat#1 <-> Sat#2

Typically, a satellite works best if it is about 30 feet from the router (or another satellite for daisy chaining), depending on the wall construction (i.e. concrete blocks signals much more than a wood frame wall).

Another layout referred to as "Star configuration" is layed out like this:

Sat#1 <-> Router <-> Sat#2

Having Daisy Chaining enabled allows both of these configuration to work, which is why it is enabled by default.  If you choose to disable daisy chaining, then each satellite has to be close enough to the router to bind the backhaul to it.

Note that the above all assumes you are using a WiFi backhaul rather than a wired backhaul.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 5 of 6
Dway
Aspirant

I have not changed any settings, and I was going to report that my backhaul status for both satellites was good. But, when I just looked, both satellites were attached to the main Orbi router and the backhaul status of #1 was good and #2 was poor. All of this is with daisy chain topology enabled. The light on the basement satellite cycles - purple - blue - off and this may happen with greater/lesser frequency (not sure why). Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, David

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7