Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK 50 sold by Verizon-special firmware?

AAG53
Tutor

RBK 50 sold by Verizon-special firmware?

I am considering purchasing an Orbi  RBK 50 system and I see that Verizon sells it. In their info, they state that they load a modified firmware to Orbi.

>>NOTE: Verizon-specific firmware and periodic updates will automatically be loaded onto your Netgear device at a future date. The firmware is not compatible with Orbi satellites purchased from another seller.<<

I am also considering buying the RBK 53, which is on sale at Costco. As I have Verizon FIOS, is there a big advantage to purchasing from Verizon so their FIOS specific firmware gets loaded?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
tsig
Luminary

I've got Fios and the Orbi.  I just use the Orbi as a wireless AP.  Yes, it is an expensive wireless AP, but it is smoking fast and cover my entire property with outstanding wifi service.  No problems here.

Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

When using in AP mode, most features are not needed so there will be tradeoffs. AP mode is only that, wireless access point so no need for any of the routing features to be enabled. Been like this for a long time. Ya, it makes for a spendy AP system. Works though.

Message 3 of 8
AAG53
Tutor

Thanks for the replies. I bought the RBK 53 from Costco since it was on sale for not much more that the RBK 50 elsewhere. Works great but I only needed one satellite.

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is yours loaded with?

Awesome, Enjoy. Smiley Very Happy

@AAG53 wrote:

Thanks for the replies. I bought the RBK 53 from Costco since it was on sale for not much more that the RBK 50 elsewhere. Works great but I only needed one satellite.

Message 5 of 8
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

yes, If you purchase Orbi From Verizon, It has special VZ specific FW and firmware upgrades will be qualified by VZ and then pushed to users.

Message 6 of 8
AAG53
Tutor

V2.1.4.10

Message 7 of 8
njweb
Luminary

@Case850 wrote:

According to Netgear the Orbi is designed for "Networking Novices" to quickly establish a Wi-Fi home network. The trade off is the Orbi has low performance and is lacking a number of features one might expect from a router sold to the consumer market.

They may be marketing Orbi as easy to configure. However, many Orbi users are not networking novices by any stretch of the imagination.

Many simply want a whole home wifi system (Orbi RBK53 comes to mind) that performs better than competitors for overall performance (throughput and range combination) as per comparison reviews on smallnetbuilder.com.

Orbi is certainly not a low performance system - In fact I tried both Lyra and Velop whole home wifi systems previously and neither could compete with Orbi as far as its wireless performance for range & throughput combined is concerned.

I'll take performance over advanced features that I do not need. I understand some users need specific features that may not be offered byt Orbi.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7